Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-07-2005, 08:11 AM   #71
Casey_Daniel
Founding Member

Default Re: Now for Something Completely Different!

I don't know because all the configurations you mentioned are heavy. Do we need more power than an inline 600cc bike already makes? Not really. What we need to reinvigorate the world of motorcycling is for the government to see motorcycling as a viable form of transportation. Maybe gas will have to hit $5 a gallon before people quite driving their SUV's empty on a perfectly sunny day. What the motorcycling world needs is for motorcyclists to set a good example for other motorists. If you want to be a tool take it to the track. If you ride a cruiser then learn how to ride.

If you need more than 180 hp out of a 1000cc sportbike then you must be the man.
Casey_Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2005, 08:41 AM   #72
teknoman
Registered Member

Hey! sell it to chryslerHow much you chargign for one?
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:46 AM   #73
teknoman
Registered Member

Calling Orville&Wilbur Wright! We need you!
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:48 AM   #74
f4ik9
Founding Member

I thought that is what Eric Buell is doing.
f4ik9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:38 AM   #75
Sunder
Founding Member

How about a bike that transforms from a racer to a cruiser? You can be cruising down the boulevard, hit the highway, transform to a racer, and your off! When you get to your next cruising destination, switch back to the cruiser.
Sunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:41 PM   #76
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default Transformers

More than meets the eye!
Old 11-07-2005, 03:40 PM   #77
jjasper
Founding Member

I am actually looking at the Derbi GP1 250cc when/if it ever comes to the US, although I wish it was 400-500cc.

Problem with scooters is the ones that are above 400cc are huge boats and weigh more than my current motorcycle and get worse gas milage while going slower, plus I want 17" tires and more ground clearance. I like a small light bike, ABS and CVT would be optional accessories like on some cars, but they are good for a commuting bike. I think the belt drive is a no brainer, it is less maintenance and it lasts longer than a chain, I don't know why more bikes don't use them, BMW and Buell are smart to use them.
jjasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:44 PM   #78
jjasper
Founding Member

Don't forget these little beauties we can't get here in the US either.

http://www.suzukicycles.org/SV-serie...0-SV400S.shtml
jjasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:23 AM   #79
ivanhannel
Registered Member

The bike you describe is exactly what I'd like. Really utilitarian, fuel-injected, the CVT makes sense (I've got to replace my clutch this week, so it really makes sense), 60mpg+ would be great, storage, ground clearance, and a weight of 350lb would be fantastic.

But I don't think it will happen for a while. The cruiser people love lots of chrome and that takes weight and space. My ride last Sunday had a cruiser to other kind of bike ratio of about 6 or 7 to 1.

The sportbike side isn't much better. I read in some British magazine where they took two engines, a 600cc from 1990 or so and another from today, and they literally swapped engines and discerned little difference except when at high rpms (and 100 mph+ speeds). Now, I just read about a bike at 17,000rpms or something like that, which is great, but how fast are you going down the local highway to be at that level?

Oh, well, I have my 1986 Honda VF 500 Interceptor and that's enough for now, I guess.
ivanhannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:49 AM   #80
WeeBee
Registered Member

Nekkid SV650 comes close: I average 70MPG and it does all I want and will see track days in the spring. Started in 1980 GN400, Seca400, Seca650, FZR1000, R6 now back to Zook. Sveee!
WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote