Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-05-2005, 04:33 PM   #31
imported_g_k
Registered Member

Default Re: A short rebuttal

I may be old but I still dream about the future - I just think that a lot of what the "dreamers" were referring to would be big steps backward. V6/8 motors? For what? So even Japanese bikes cost as much to service as Ducatis? How about keeping 'em simple and optimizing the incredible models that are now available? I like cool cars, too, but I don't "dream" of a V12 to replace the 4-banger in my Lotus.

As for the internet, wouldn't you agree that, in spite of its tremendous capabilities as a "brainstorming" tool, that a high percentage of posts are just drivel? I would imagine you'd put my opinions in that category, but that's exactly what I'm talking about. Radial engines for motorcycles? What sort of "dream" is that? How about a '48 Ford flathead?
imported_g_k is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2005, 09:01 PM   #32
tripletango
Founding Member

Default Re: Now for Something Completely Different!

Lots of automatic bikes coming down the pike. Motogp looking at the technology as well. F1 cars have had it for years.

Norton had a rotary years ago.

Diesel motorbikes? Maybe a heavy cruiser. Most are slow and heavy anyway!!
tripletango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 09:08 PM   #33
Mollygrubber
Founding Member

Well, if it had sufficient power, the torque steer would probably spin the bike into the weeds, or if it was mounted vertically, flip you on your ass! Interesting concept, yet not very practical.
Mollygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 09:15 PM   #34
Mollygrubber
Founding Member

Yes. Buells - charming and sexy!
Mollygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 09:46 PM   #35
eojmo
Founding Member

If you look through the motorcycling history books, just about every one of those engine configurations has already been built.For the people who get tired of motorcycle design's,why not add two more wheels,airconditioning and some cup holders.Now that would be something really revolutionary.
eojmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 02:38 AM   #36
rock06r
Founding Member

I don't know about "radical and new". I would rather see some known technologies that were factory installed by all the major manufacturers. You know, simple things like gas gauges, trip-meters. Mirrors that actually work and look good (integrated signals..??). Beam lights that cover a good distance and a good angle, even when banked a little (i.e. in a turn). Turn signals that are integrated into the body work (and look good). Paint that doesn't get scratched off by looking at it too close. Adjustable footpegs. Anything other than hyper-sport bikes should have extra amps for accessories and a weather-proof plug to connect to. Adjustable seats.

Basically, all the things that cost an OEM just a few dollars more to make and that end up costing us huge $$$ in after-market parts. I really would not mind spending a few hundred bucks ($300-400) more for a bike that had all these things, rather than making due with a bike that doesn't have them and then spending $1500 to upgrade it later.
rock06r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 04:14 AM   #37
wOzerd
Founding Member

Here's a thought: How about REAL cruise control? High end scoots like Bmw's 1200RT and LC and the Gold Wing have em. Why not offer it to the masses so us poor Mo Fo's don't have to resort to paddles, thumb locks and (even) bicycle inner tubes (don't ask)-- (well, ok-- ask) that make you go 110 down hill and 40 uphill?

How nice would it be to relax that right hand while droning on the E-Way to your favorite set of curves or on a 1200 mile weekend jaunt without having to "tend" the throttle constantly? A real cruise control that shuts off with the brake and/or a switch? That maintains a fairly constant speed up/down hills?
wOzerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:42 AM   #38
anrajala
Founding Member

This Drysdale misses totally the point. If someone pays the extra for a V8, then it better look and sound like a damn V8. Chromed engine to impressively protrude on both sides and a growling sound that moisturizes the pants of all the females within 100 metres.

Now the engine is hidden inside the frame having the towering presence of a SV650 or some such. Sound is that of a run of the mill inline 4. I couldn't have done better job downplaying this engine myself. Good idea wasted. Utterly pointless.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:26 AM   #39
robhar54
Registered Member

Absolutely! I want one. A modern, fuel-efficient, clean-emissions version of my '86 R80G/S, with ABS. This could lead to motorcycles being treated seriously in transportation planning in the US. What a concept...!

robhar54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 08:19 AM   #40
ofreen
Registered Member

Default Re: A short rebuttal

Got you covered there.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...ad-motorcycle/
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote