Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-05-2005, 07:59 AM   #21
imported_g_k
Registered Member

Default Re: Now for Something Completely Different!

Hmmm - pardon my saying so, but some of these ideas are so lame I was reminded of what Kurt Vonnegut said once when asked about the internet. He mentioned the mathematical theory sometimes used to give an idea of infinity - if you had an infinite number of monkeys typing at an infinite number of keyboards, sooner or later they'd type all of the great works of literature. "The internet shows that this is not true."

In-line V-6s? V-8s? Turbos? Rotary or radial engines? Why stop there? How about a W-96 with model airplane engines using a common crank and a two-stage forced induction system using both a turbo and a supercharger? Let's make it a hybrid while we're at it, then follow that up with a hydrogen-powered version!

Maybe the posters aren't really that stupid - they just have a lot of discretionary income and want to see bikes become much more complex and expensive. Just to show I'm capable of being as much of an idiot, how about this - a 12-cylinder radial engine mounted horizontally on top of a special carbon-fiber helmet with a flexible cable power transmission to both front and rear wheels? There'd be a bit of torque effect to deal with, but nothing that stronger neck muscles couldn't handle. Not only would it look way cool, but it would show airplane piston engine designer how silly they were to give up on radials back in the 30s or thereabouts. It wouldn't have the advantage of a turbo which generates lots of unwanted heat, and it might not burn oil like a rotary, but at least it's complex! And different! And therefore not boring!

I think I'll go out to my garage and kick my boring MV Agusta Brutale over - it's sooo yesterday! 4 cylinders? 6 speeds? Good brakes and handling? That was all available years ago - I'm so ashamed to be even seen on it now.
imported_g_k is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2005, 08:15 AM   #22
TomSmith
Founding Member

Use wine for fuel. You can get it cheaper than a bottle of water from France. They are extracting alcohol from wine right now for use in cars.
TomSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 09:02 AM   #23
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"I think I'll go out to my garage and kick my boring MV Agusta Brutale over..."

They put a kicker on a Brutale?? What'll they think of next???
Old 11-05-2005, 09:12 AM   #24
dylanmo
Founding Member

a 12-cylinder radial engine mounted horizontally on top of a special carbon-fiber helmet with a flexible cable power transmission to both front and rear wheels

That would be f'n' boss.
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 11:10 AM   #25
MudSlinger
Founding Member

Not too long ago, KTM hinted at building a V6 powered bike. But with the current euro/dollar exchange rate, I don't foresee them devolping anything outside the status quo now.

More than anything else, I would be interested in a rotary powered bike. Inefficient maybe, but cool, definately!

Old 11-05-2005, 11:49 AM   #26
BillyO
Registered Member

Yes,what the industry needs is a never ending supply of "Focus Groups."

Jap.inline fours are BORING but fast.

Harleys slow and charming.

Italian bikes sexy and unreliable.

BMW`s are for intelectuals and snobs.

Have I left anybody out ?

BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 12:12 PM   #27
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default A short rebuttal

Does the word "party pooper" mean anything to you. Like my mommy use to say did you take your happy pill today. So in your opinion the ideas are lame but don't you remember those days when you were young and dreamed about the future. It's fun. So take your happy pill and relax. Then internet is great Brainstorming tool. Probably the best communciation method invented in the history of man.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 12:49 PM   #28
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Excellent Point Somnus. "What would it take to make a bike more like your own two feet?" You nailed it.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 03:26 PM   #29
apostate
Founding Member

Perfect. This is the same thing I would sink some money in. Would be pretty much my ideal swiss-army bike (commuter, touring and a little fun on the weekends). If a manufacturer ever does that I'll be waiting at the dealership with my checkbook ready.

Ant
apostate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 03:32 PM   #30
zxr250cc
Founding Member

There has already been a radial engine bike, in Germany, in the 1920's. It looked weird... I would like a diesel dual sport if it had great torque and low weight, for a diesel. Say 350 pounds wet, full of all fuel and liquids? A 450 or 500 cc model would be fun and I would want it to be street legal with 7 to 8 inches of front and rear shock travel so it has a low seat height and is good for fire roads and gravel road riding. I don't need 13" of travel if I am just puttering along, not racing...
zxr250cc is offline   Reply With Quote