Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-19-2005, 02:54 PM   #1
rmdower
Founding Member

Default Re: Man kills motorcyclist. Bail is $1,980.00. What now?

Everyday people make bad judgement calls. Sometimes they end in a tragedy like this. Lets keep some perspective people
rmdower is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-19-2005, 03:12 PM   #2
jfgilbert
Founding Member

I agree with mdower. I feel for the victim and his family, but let's keep some perspective. The driver is innocent until convicted. The amount of bail is not related to the severity of the offense, it is set to ensure that the person charged will show up in court. In this case, people who know a whole lot more than we do about the case have decided that $1,980 was enough and we have no reason to second guess that.
jfgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 03:56 PM   #3
Fenton
Founding Member

It's a tough call when a "routine" accident ends with a death. These are the very reasons we wear protection and carry insurance, we never know. The facts we don't know(and never will) for sure could prove anything.

There was a young man killed about a mile from my house when a "soccer mom" in a suburban pulled out in front of him. Everyone figures she was on the phone etc... Turns out the young man was doing 110mph in a 50mph zone. She said she though he was a lot farther away when she pulled out. He was.

It saddens me to read about a fellow rider killed in an accident. My prayers go out to his family and loved ones.

-Ride well.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 04:00 PM   #4
joediver
Registered Member

I'm all about innocent until proven guilty but around here you'd be in the 6 digit amount for bail for a manslaughter or murder charge. I'd bet if he'd been on foot or driving anything else but a motorcycle the DA and police would be treating this more seriously.

But then again maybe I'm just jaded by too many AMA horror stories...
Old 10-19-2005, 04:47 PM   #5
bboule
Founding Member

Did you guys read the article?

It's a kid on a bike running from a cop who is chasing him in a police camaro.

The Camaro blew a tire, the officer lost control, hit an innocent bystander, and then fatally ran into a tree. The guy on the bike got away. The police then proceed to charge him with vehicular homicide along with a whole other list of charges.. The others sound OK but the vehicular manslaughter was a bit of a stretch and they got him on it.

What is next? Getting arrested for flush turn signals or loud pipes?

Just wanted to make sure people weren't thinking it was a guy on a bike running a pedestrian down and killing him/her.

This has got to raise just a little bit of WTF are they getting into high speed chases they can't handle without hurting someone.
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 04:49 PM   #6
bboule
Founding Member

My bad.. wrong article.

There is a separate article out today about the story I mentioned:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-v...,7171779.story
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 05:09 PM   #7
pudlepirate
Registered Member

I have allways believed that aprehension of reckless driving is best done when the perpetrator has returned to their house, they obviously know who it is, they charged them.. why not pick em up @ 7:30 sun am instead of tear assing through town after them, causing much greater potential for colateral damage. it boils down to police being cowboys, with too much hp, too much firepower, and not nearly enough restraint. rant off
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 05:58 PM   #8
davkane
Registered Member

here is the problem with your logic here. the dude was breaking that law, lets say the police cut off the chase and then this idiot kills a family of 4 five minutes later, everyone would be blaming the cops for not chasing him and getting him. also they would be sending out a message saying all you gotta due is speed to get away and we will leave you alone. As soon as the guy did not pull over for the cops he was comitting a feloney (plain and simple), and in the commision of that fellony he got some one killed (plain and simple). is 60 years a bit harsh? yes! did he get some one killed by not pulling over? yes. he took the responsibility of what ever happened after the chase began, he was commiting a crime and he is only lucky the cop got killed. He was weaving in and out of traffic, he needs to own that his actions were fatal.

People make mistakes all the time, and I feel sorry for the guy, but as soon as he decided to run from the cops, he took a step that can not be undone.

as for the "WTF" comment, I assume you are blaming the cops for what this guy forced them to do, It kinda sound like the old question you here after someone has been killed on a motorcycle "Was he/she wearing a helmet?"
davkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:16 PM   #9
mikenomad
Founding Member

Default Re: Another Dead Biker. Let's Go to Sturgis and Get Drunk

Another biker killed by a cager. So what else is new? Nothing will ever come of it. Bikers are too busy partying to accomplish anything politically. Janklow is about to get his law license back.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 01:29 AM   #10
cptaebphd
Founding Member

Sorry, but I can't dismiss reckless actions that result in death as some trivial "bad judgement call."

My perspective is that a family has been devastated, it was completely avoidable, and Mr. Carpenter must be held accountable.
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote