Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-20-2005, 10:46 AM   #41
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Other Options

OK, yes I started out dirt riding when I was 9. Yes I can broadslide a motorcycle, in fact during the 10 years that I raced motocross I used that technique to slide into the berm and corner faster. Yes, when it's snowing out I have taken my bike out and did donuts and powerslides all over the cul de sac that I live on for giggles,

But no I do not use the technique on the street, because over the 40 years Ive been riding motorcycles I've discovered (along with most everyone else) that using the front brake stops you alot faster than broadsliding to a stop. And it's better to use maximum braking with the front and rear brake and try to ride your way out of trouble, even to the point of risking hitting the object in front of you than arbitrarily throwing the bike down on the road.

In a philosophical vein, when your braking and fighting to stay up you still have a chance, Once you throw the bike away or "lay er down" as you call it, you've already given up and crashed. Being a protestant Brit. growing up in the French Catholic part of Montreal, I learned you never just quit. You keep fighting or you get your ass kicked even worse.

Happy?
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2005, 10:46 AM   #42
edward44
Founding Member

"NOBODY 'lays her down' on purpose"

That's just about the dumbest statement you've made yet. And that's saying something.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 10:52 AM   #43
edward44
Founding Member

I gather you missed my comment on braking distances. Let me put it to you this way. If you are headed for a solid object at 40 mph and you have 15' to stop and you know that's not possible. What do you do.

I had hoped to generate some intelligent discussion about street survival but I guess that was a lost cause around here.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:14 PM   #44
davkane
Registered Member

Default Re: Man kills motorcyclist. Bail is $1,980.00. What now?

I do agree, 60 years is way crazy. yeah, comunuty service would proabaly serve everyone better. I doubt he will do the same thing again...
davkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 12:45 PM   #45
mhosch
Founding Member

Just another reminder that you're betting your life everytime you keep trucking along at normal speeds approaching left turning drivers, or drivers pulling out at an intersection.

I thought the game plan was to always slow down and have a plan EVERY time they could do this to you. Of course, you could do all this and still get killed by a bus in the other lane. It's really sad, but on a bike the rules change. It's almost irrelevant what the traffic laws are.

mhosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 01:14 PM   #46
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

I've been riding about 40 years. A few days ago, while in my car, I nearly pulled out in front of a motorcycle. I saw him in time, so it was a nonevent, but whether we like it or not, motorcycles don't get our attention the way cars and trucks do. It was a reminder to me to not get to self rightous about this stuff and just assume I'm invisible any time I'm on a motorcycle. I did buy me a loud ass horn, though.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 01:21 PM   #47
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"If you are headed for a solid object at 40 mph and you have 15' to stop and you know that's not possible. What do you do. "

Well if I use my brakes effectively, I probably hit the solid object at 20 mph. If I hit the rear brake and fall on my ass like you would, I would hit it at 39 mph. The first option sounds better to me. I could also use an evasive manuver to actually miss the solid object because I stayed upright. How do you steer with your ass?? Street survival means staying on your wheels to evade and stop. Stupidity is falling down and sliding into your target. The only lost cause here is you Supereddie. No rider in his right mind would recommend falling down to save yourself. Only you.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:40 PM   #48
edward44
Founding Member

" I probably hit the solid object at 20 mph"

Think about what that means, if that's not asking too much. It may come as a surprise to you that the the coefficent of friction for a person is not that of a bike. Check out the MotoGP races and see the rider way behind the bike in a low side. As for street survival staying on your wheels, you seem to have not comprehended what happened to the deceased subject: he stayed on his wheels and died. It happens every day. Target fixation. But why are you so angry? What is it about an opinion contrary to yours that sets you off into a flame war? Oh, sure , you with your unrivalled skill will escape unharmed in any situation. Not for nothing are the clique of idiots here called Morons.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:57 PM   #49
cptaebphd
Founding Member

Honest mistake? I don't think so. Getting onion rings instead of fries at the drive thru -- that's an honest mistake. Killing a man is not.

I think you'd feel differently if someone close to you were killed due to someone else's negligent behavior. I always see these things from the perspective of the family that has suffered the loss. Mr. Carpenter changed his life forever, but he's still alive.
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 03:26 PM   #50
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Maybe Art Friedman is a moron too. From one of his articles:

"If your first ride home from the dealership was anything like mine, you probably still haven't gotten your adrenaline levels back to normal. I didn't yet know anybody who rode a motorcycle until after I started riding (now it seems like all my friends ride), so I had no knowledgeable source to turn to. And when I did find other riders to talk to, I had to sort out all the BS about not using the front brake because you'd "just flip it right over." Esquire magazine even printed advice to "lay it down" to avoid a crash. Fortunately, I was just smart enough to figure out that "laying it down" was, in fact, crashing."

No Shyt!