Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Man kills motorcyclist. Bail is $1,980.00. What now? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3081-man-kills-motorcyclist-bail-1-980-00-what-now.html)

acecycleins 10-20-2005 06:45 AM

Re: Man kills motorcyclist. Bail is $1,980.00. What now?

the area that this happened in has very little room for error. if he ditched he may have taken his own life because of the way the roads are constructed in the area. trees are close to the road in most of this area and where there are no trees there is potentially deadly drop-off.

Buzglyd 10-20-2005 06:57 AM

Sounds like he had a truck in his lane, a bus coming at him, trees and ravines on either side of him.

When it's your time, it's your time.

longride 10-20-2005 07:14 AM

Buzz, you are almost getting philosophical on us. Next thing you know you will be feeling sorry for the widows whose pensions you are raiding.

edward44 10-20-2005 07:23 AM

"Now that family has to cope with more than the loss of life they have to endure lifestyle change as well. Who pays for that?"

That's where those theiving lawyers come in. Unless Bush and Co. and "tort reform" have scuppered that route.

Buzglyd 10-20-2005 07:33 AM

Well they have those pension because I made money with my pension company so I could raid them later with my pension raiding company.

RIT_Phatmac 10-20-2005 07:34 AM

Slow down and be careful

First, my condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Hovey. Our prayers are with you today.

A motorcycle collides with an truck, and the motorcyle loses. This is basic physics. Every day we choose to ride, we are more vunerable then if we chose to drive a cage.

Everyone on the road is responsible for obeying the rules of the road, stop, look proceed. Monday was a bad day for both Mr. Hovey, Mr. Carpenter, and Mr. Phillips--the bus driver. Each one of their lives changed forever in an instant, but it was the motorcyclist that died.

We grieve for him because he was a rider, like we are. We are angry with Neil Carpenter because of our own experiences, the inattentiveness of other drivers, the near-misses, and the accidents we have had ourselves.

Most of us also own cars, trucks, and SUVs, and find ourselves behind the wheel of a cage more often than we'd like. As a rider, my attentiveness behind the wheel has improved too. I didn't know what I was I was missing until I started to ride defensively. We need to share that with our cell-phone talking, coffee-drinking, newpaper-reading, shaving-at-75 counterparts.

As citizens of the road, we all can slip-up--It sucks, but they're called accidents for a reason, and we either walk away, heal, or die.

If we work to mitigate the risks, by being more attentive, driving/riding slower, not riding/driving high/drunk/drowsy, and just stop being in such a hurry--and encourage those around us to do the same, the roads become safer for all of us.

If we prevent one accident, either directly or indirectly, a fellow rider has not died in vain.

longride 10-20-2005 08:05 AM

You're always thinkin'. That's why you live in SD and I'm stuck here. Damn it's getting cold already!

RIT_Phatmac 10-20-2005 08:11 AM

Other Options

I was in the same situation, and it was oncoming traffic to the left, a telephone pole to the right, and a Nissan Murano in the entire lane ahead. I was at 35mph.

I hit the brakes and made a deliberate, practiced panic stop. Now--I didn't stop soon enough and made contact at about 10-15mph, and T-boned the truck.

I dented the tank with my knees, I dug into the bars quite hard, but I did not leave the bike. I did not hit the ground until the driver was past me--like falling on gravel in the parking lot.

I had a 15mph collision with a dentable object. The doors gave and my forks gave, and I was whole. The secondary collision with the ground was buffered by riding boots and hip pads.

If I went left: threat of oncoming traffic and threat of being hit from the side ay the object I was trying to avoid, If I turned and then braked, I would have been going head-on at to maybe a 55 mph collision--followed by a short flight and an indeterminable landing.

If I went right, it would have been 25 mph collision into a telephone pole--maybe I would have not hit it head on, but the last sound I ever hear should not be the sound of my neck breaking.

Ok, now dump the bike in any scenario above. Skidding without direction control on pegs and bars and leather and cordua, hopefully free of the bike, but possibly under or in front of it. Slowing down with a lesser coeficient of friction than rubber on pavement. You could end up in oncoming traffic, under a wheel, or into a pole--the only thing that's going to "give" are your flesh and bones.

Jump off the bike into traffic. I've jumped off a dirtbike in the slow stuff, and I can see the cycle as a stable platform for this at speed.

I'm very glad you're OK, but I think there are other options than putting the bike down.

The best way to avoid collision is to be going a speed where you can stop "If that friggin idiot cager on my right pulls out." That and covering your front and rear brake levers to react in time.

Tigercub 10-20-2005 08:27 AM

This is no accident!! Someone did something stupid.

acecycleins 10-20-2005 09:02 AM

I would not go so far as to say this was no accident. Although this was a state hwy it is not the type of road that lends to great visability. The cage driver did indeed make a grave error and a fellow motorcylist died because there was not enough time to react to the situation. Stupidity is not a crime. The owner of the truck needs to pay for the crime of killing a person (even by accident). Justice will not be served, however, because the law is poorly written. Unfortunately, the truck owner will not (in my opinion) pay a high enough price for the life he took for a mistake that could have been avioded.