Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-20-2005, 01:37 AM   #11
cptaebphd
Founding Member

Default Re: Man kills motorcyclist. Bail is $1,980.00. What now?

I will always second guess the courts if they do something I think is stupid. The "pocket change" bail amount sends a message that reckless actions with a 2-ton vehicle resulting in death isn't really that big a deal. I disagree.
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2005, 02:34 AM   #12
edward44
Founding Member

A little low? What do you think would be about right: $2156.99. I don't keep track of these things, but it seems to me bail is usually in chunks of 10 grand or so as it only requires a percentage to make it with collateral.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 03:39 AM   #13
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

How is wrecking this mans life too going to help the original victim?

It was seemingly an honest accident, lets use some common sense.
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 04:10 AM   #14
maladg
Registered Member

I did watch the news here in ATL Monday night. If this story was on, I missed it. Also read what passes for the ATL paper monday. Ditto. {The ATL paper was once upon a time a fine thing. More of a cut & paste job with crappy "lifestyle" nonsense now with VERY poor coverage of anything "OTP" - outside the perimeter}.

ITP - inside the beltway...OTP - converse. ITP = blue. OTP= very red.

Lets all take a deep breath & remember that one K. N. Carpenter's troubles are just beginning.....When the dust settles I imagine he'll be in huge trouble. I've served on Petit Jury twice here in "OTP" Metro in the last 10 yrs + 9 weeks on a Grand Jury. I have a first hand clue for you re OTP Metro ATL juries: they are very, very, very big on personal responsibility & accountability. Carpenter will find this out...and sooner than you think.

I did not see any info on mitigating circumstances - not that I really care as I too want to see the perp pay and pay dearly. But know this...the far burb's here are just as big a mess trafficwise as elsewhere. GA 369 was a quiet country road just a few years ago. Growth in that area is moving at a furious pace. The road has not been upgraded to even minimal standards. And this ain't the only one either. Traffic is flat out crazy dangerous here. Even with 30+ yrs of riding experience on everything from dual purpose to high performance to heavy touring iron, I've long since started carefully picking where I won't ride here in metro. In fact, 90+% of my metro ATL riding consists of direct escape routes from this madhouse.

My wife and I are plotting our escape from our hometown as I waste time typing here.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 04:21 AM   #15
giuliom
Registered Member

I agree. Bail is related to many things, but in this case the guy was not drunk or driving recklessly. He just made a turn at the wrong time. Has anyone here ever had a close call while driving? Thought so. If the guy driving is someone with a regular job, family, house, etc., I don't see what would be accomplished by keeping him in jail before the trial. Also, often bail is used to keep people in jail so they cannot mess up the investigation. Here, that does not apply. Just one of those things, which is why they call them "accidents." It's not even in the same universe as what Janklow did, for example.
giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 04:53 AM   #16
bboule
Founding Member

The thing is the cops kill way more people inadvertently every year then speeding bikers. Hell sometimes they kill people and don't even lose their jobs.

What is more dangerous... a speeding biker or a speeding biker AND a speeding camaro?

Why can't this guy get probation and do some community service like Janklow? Maybe he just needed to spend more on his lawyer.
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:29 AM   #17
acecycleins
Founding Member

I live in Forsyth Co. As much as it sucks the charge (legally) is correct. I was in the bail bond business for a decade before I opened my insurance agency and have watched Georgians ignore this flaw in the state law. My bro-in-law is a Fulton Co cop and my dad and uncles are attorneys- they all agree that the law needs to be revised but our "law makers" year after year pass over any changes to the current law. Is it a joke? No. Can we change the law? Yes. Will it be changed? Probably not. I truly feel for the family of the motorcyclist. I, also, feel sorry for the unfortunate bus driver that ran over the motorcyclist because there was nothing he could do. The only positive note is that the bus was empty> My girl goes to Chestatee Elm. Those kids would have been in school therapy for weeks. This is just another wake-up call to GA motorcyclist to get their law makers to step up with appropriate laws for the offenses committed.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:31 AM   #18
Buzglyd
Founding Member

If the guy had been in a car he probably would have lived so I say we make motorcycles illegal.

He died because a bus ran over him. I wonder how he would have fared wearing a full-face Snell Helmet?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:41 AM   #19
edward44
Founding Member

My question is did he have time to do something that would have avoided hitting the car? Jump or slide off, drop the bike, broadslide: anything but hit the car. When I was faced with that situation I took the bike down. It hurt but if I would have hit him I would be dead or in a wheelchair.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:42 AM   #20
acecycleins
Founding Member

Brutal. I wish no bad ill to the man that pulled into the pathway of the motorcyclist. However, the structure of the law itself is sending a message that if a person kills another (by accident) in a vehicle then it's "all right because he or she didn't mean too". That's not all right. I watch the news daily about kids killing their friends in stupid accidents and the kids pay no penilty except for a suspended license and some community service. If one dies because of anothers mistake there should not be a pass. The motorcyclist may well have been the money maker in his family. Now that family has to cope with more than the loss of life they have to endure lifestyle change as well. Who pays for that?