Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-13-2005, 05:37 AM   #21
03zx12r
Registered Member

Default Re: HD not dead yet.

They leak, their too noisey, they smell, their unreliable, they get poor fuel milage, the use too much oil, they vibrate too much-might not be a problem for the women.

Just remember - HD does not mean HeavyDuty! They should go away. As a engine machinist, when I applied to work at the new KC production plant - I was informed I was over qualified for the job.
03zx12r is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-13-2005, 05:41 AM   #22
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Well that's a relief! Last weekend when I was riding the Geezer glide I kept thinking about how much more fun I would have had on a GSXR1000.

Now I guess I really did enjoy myself!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:50 AM   #23
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Yes you were. Good catch.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:51 AM   #24
bbtowns
Founding Member

Rising profits are great, but I didn't take this as optimistically as most here. Rising retail inventories are ultimately going to hurt them unless they take some strategy to turn this situation around (reducing MSRP?). It wasn't long ago there were virtually no Harley's on hand, and most purchasers had to wait months for their bikes. That certainly wasn't a recipe for rapid growth, but they need to find a middle ground. The note about new models was encouraging if they're innovative and don't further dilute the existing Harley line up. I'm not a Harley rider, but can't help but root for Harley and the motorcycle industry in general.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:04 AM   #25
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I hope your spelling and grammar on the application was better than your post, otherwise they were giggling loudly as you were leaving.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:06 AM   #26
sarnali
Founding Member

Me too, I was out sliding around in the rain last night listening to my new pipes thinking I was having fun, guess I got cold and wet for nothing. I'll have to trade it for a Bandit now after all.

Even in the bad old days new Harley's were at msrp, It's the used "my bikes an investment" market that'll come back down to the ground. My personal opinion is that there will always be a core group of HD riders buying bikes and parts. The fashion statement and me-too market may well fall off as those things do, obviously that's going to effect sales but as a company they've made it through some pretty lean times before and they must have more money than Ft. Knox piled away in the closet somewhere, I don't think they'll be going anywhere soon.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:06 AM   #27
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Maybe you would have had a better time on the Gix, but I think your other half would have beat you senseless and took the bus home after 150 miles.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:08 AM   #28
sarnali
Founding Member

Guess they should have just handed him the keys to plant and turned him loose
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:12 AM   #29
bboule
Founding Member

Just remarking how ridiculous we are.

Things are pretty backwards when increasing gas prices makes you think it is time to get rid of your most efficient vehicle. But I guess a lot of H-Ds models seriously qualify as toys since they are so out there, and they are expensive too if you were going to use them as a serious commuting tool.

Now the boat I understand completely as they are expensive, almost purely recreational, and they make a full size SUV seem thrifty when it comes to gas.
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:13 AM   #30
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

That's what I did. It was a choice between a new Honda Ridgeline and a new Buell.

You can guess which one I got. Now if I can just squeeze another 100,000 miles out of the Dakota (ha, right).