Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-09-2005, 02:29 AM   #11
edward44
Founding Member

Default Re: Why Isn't Every Make and Model of Bike the Same?

Retro is popular here in the US now. BMW seems to be selling it Mini reincarnation reasonably well while Damlier-Chrysler has several retro cars for sale. But none of those use the same engines/suspension configuration but rather the latest thinking engineeringwise. I don't think a flathead engine would sell and Ford's transverse leaf suspension, so effective on buggies, from its pre 1950 model would probably not be well received. Yet if one considers the Sportster say, It has all the design elements from a fifties era bike. Offering variety is one thing, being hide bound is another.

Consider the British Motorbike industry: once the greatest in the world, reduced to rubble in a few short years by the same kind of thinking going on in Milwaukee.

I am begining to think HarleyDavidism is a substitute religion for secularists. I would like to see the relationship between church going and Harley ownership.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2005, 05:23 AM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Actually my eyes have been on those Ducati Sport Classics coming out next year.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:45 AM   #13
sarnali
Founding Member

I buy whatever strikes my fancy, the engine configuration plays a part in it but I look at the total package in looks, handleing comfort and performance. That's why I brand-hop so much, there's so many cool bikes I want I don't want to get stuck in a rut. I'm on my 5th Harley V-twin now, but in between I've had flat twins, flat fours, vertical twins and inline fours, V fours, I like them all.

It occured to me that I'd been riding fours for a long time, and I was tired of water coooled bikes so I got the Thruxton, when that didn't work out I was looking at FZ1's for performance or Bandits because I really liked the one I had and I think the air/ oil coolled GSXR motor is one of the best in motorcycling.

I settled on the Dyna because I like the stripped down no frills look of the original Superglides, the 45* twin is integral in that, but it's the way the total package is integrated not just the engine.

I wish we could get more variety here but as Suzuki has shown, we get full-on sport bikes or retro looking V-twins. If you look at their overseas line-up in the UK there's a ton of cool looking models we don't even get because they seem to feel we're hung up on cruisers and sportbikes. IMO, the UJM has become a retro-look V twin cruiser, at least Honda gives us the 599 and 919.

sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:11 AM   #14
Fenton
Founding Member

Paul Smart? I am really enjoying my Duc. The 1000DS is a huge improvement.

I must be getting older or smarter, my HP requirements keep going down and I haven't noticed a lose of power.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:23 AM   #15
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I was looking at the GT1000 cuz I need a place to put the girl.

She just hangs on for dear life on the Brutale. Consquently, she prefers the ST4 or the Geezer Glide.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:51 AM   #16
tomk2
Founding Member

Don't feel so bad about that pushrod lump... it's probably the most efficient motorcycle engine on the market.

If the AMA decided that for next year each competitor in the Daytona 200 would have exactly 5 gallons of gas to complete the race, Buells would suddenly become the favorites.
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:23 AM   #17
Fenton
Founding Member

I know how you feel. I'm thinking big old lux tourer..... no not that big. K1200RS or FJR1300.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:12 AM   #18
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Face it, you're just getting old!
Old 10-09-2005, 11:50 AM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

We don't seem to be stuck on cruisers and race replicas in the USA we are stuck on Cruisers and RRs. Suzuki dropped the best deal in motorcycles, the Bandit, because Americans won't touch naked standards. Bikes are recreation not utilitarian in the USA.

Though high gas prices may change that. When people start deciding to buy bikes that are usable rather than fashion statements then you'll see the cruisers and RRs sitting on the showroom floor while the Zrexes, Bandits and such fly out the door.

Old 10-09-2005, 12:59 PM   #20
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

..along with the Buells.