Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-02-2005, 09:04 AM   #1
HornetRider
Founding Member

Default Re: Am I the only one tired of the motorcyclist wave?

Ther are days I am too busy enjoying the ride to wave, busy watch cagers on the 101 triing to talk and eat breakfast, but times I am not I wave. It's a freedom, and hello to friend. An encourgement. Be friendly, get more out there on their affordable metrics, and scooters. save fuel. I don't care the reason. JUST RIDE MAN- RIDE.
HornetRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2005, 09:45 AM   #2
supecoop
Founding Member

When I'm in a crowded metropolitan area sometimes I wave; and return a wave if traffic is not too bad. Its no big deal one way or the other. But on a long tour, far from home and in the middle of nowhere, the wave is a great gesture.
supecoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 09:50 AM   #3
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Dude, you're grumpy for 36. Are there that many motorcyclists where you are? I don't think folks expect you to wave if you are the busy freeway commuting. However, on side streets and two lane highways where its obvious you could wave and don't , that's a little rude in my opinion. I usually wave first to everyone that rides. 98% plus wave back. I don't get offended for those who don't. My internal counter says the 2% is mostly weekend Harley guys who don't wave but I don't care. To me it's a greeting of respect that says "Glad to see another rider and I repect you for riding". People are so rude these days to me it's one of the last traditions that go back to the days when folks were more polite and cared about each other. Man I sound like a conservative huh. I have noticed on my visits to Southern Cal folks are more rude, grumpy, and frearful of strangers than other parts of the county. Probably the result of the rapid urbanization.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 10:04 AM   #4
cptaebphd
Founding Member

Please tell me you're not a TPS grad... Waving is tradition and, yes, we are doing something special. I know that working at Edwards can suck the life out of people (desert heat, desolate, dusty, demanding), but you gotta lighten up. Riding should clear the head (ok, "cranium" for all you pilot types) and waving should be a reminder that you're not alone enjoying yourself (STS).
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 10:27 AM   #5
Fenton
Founding Member

Hey grumpy pants, I think the problem is you are "too busy to wave." I personally don't care if you wave or not. But it is a shame that something that has brought you so much joy for the past 20 years has become part of the rush to get done rest of your day.

Too busy? At least the jerks and Harley posers have REAL problems.

You just need to remember why you ride, and relax.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:17 AM   #6
snark
Registered Member

I have to laugh at these people who think that because they're 36 they've seen it all. Yeah Dude, you've been all they way from Victorville to Ridgecrest. You're too jaded to give a little wave to a fellow scooter rider. Okay, if conditions demand my attention and concentration I don't wave either, but for me waving at other riders is a part of enjoying the ride. BTW why did you think this decision of yours is important enough to write about?

Grumpy Fifty-Nine year old
snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 12:59 PM   #7
DaveFla
Founding Member

Guilt?
DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 01:23 PM   #8
cheapbastard
Founding Member

When I'm on a long road trip and haven't seen another bike for a bunch of miles and someone comes over the crest and gives me the wave it makes me feel connected to a brotherhood of fellow riders that risk death on the highway to get the joy of spirit that comes from hooking up and becoming one with the power and dance of a motorcycle. Going down Santiago Canyon road on a Sunday I feel like a bobbleheaded dog in the back of a 64 Chevy nodding and waving every 3 seconds to the point of absurdity. I don't ride Santiago Canyon, Ortega Highway or Angeles Crest on Sunday.
cheapbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 02:20 PM   #9
elwood_617
Registered Member

Yes you are a grumpy "old" 36 year old man. I don't wave if I am busy (heavy traffic, pulling in the clutch, turning), but other than that I wave every time. I like the comradery of the motorcycle community. The wave is by no means mandatory, so donÂ’t do it if you donÂ’t want to.
elwood_617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 02:47 PM   #10
oldtim
Founding Member

I think its dumb. I recall when I used to have an Austin Healey, all the Brit sports car drivers would wave, but then again, you weren't waving ever damn block or so. I never wave first but I always wave back. As the responses here to fore posted would indicate, some folks put a lot of stock in it.
oldtim is offline   Reply With Quote