Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-03-2005, 04:29 PM   #61
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: I'll wave out of courtesy, if you don't wave back--no problemo...

I catch myselft waving while in the cage now and then. Knee jerk reaction...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2005, 04:44 PM   #62
LTDenham
Founding Member

Default Re: Am I the only one tired of the motorcyclist wave?

First Post! After riding for a year in the states I moved to Korea and bought a bike over here. The most difficult thing to get used to (after all the crazy drivers) is that no one waves over here. I guess its because there are so many scooters. I also look at it as a different cultural viewpoint. In the states people drive motorcycles for recreation, in Korea they drive them for utility.
LTDenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 04:49 PM   #63
eojmo
Founding Member

I think you hit the nail on the head,you are becoming a grumpy old fart. I've been riding longer than you and still enjoy the wave when out on the open road.Its part of motorcycling,the camaraderi,the acknowlegment that we enjoy riding,a commen bond.I've ridden in many countries, and no matter where I go , help and conversation with fellow riders is always available.On a recent trip to the USA I used a Harley Fat Boy to get around, and for the first time I experianced waves from other Harley riders,something that's as rare as hens teeth when I ride other brands.Obviosly, waving to each other in the daily commute can be a bit over the top, but on the open road, a nod , a wave,whatever, lets keep the camaraderi going.
eojmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 05:04 PM   #64
Gluge
Registered Member

Jeeezz, I like how you were so pissed about waving you had to write about it!

Personaly I even slow down, wave and give a thumbs up to cagers that scoot a foot over for me when I'm spliting lanes.

I also wave to kids and bike riders, and really most people that look at me.

Provided I see them and feel safe letting go of the handle bar.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:15 PM   #65
bk6a
Founding Member

hell, i'm a border patorl agent in west texas, and i wave to anyone; cage, bike, cop or 1%'er, and if they are anywhere near local, i get a wave back.
bk6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:34 PM   #66
Fenton
Founding Member

Was that you in the black leather jacket that didn't wave back on Sunday? Jerk!
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:03 PM   #67
mii54ws
Founding Member

I like the idea of acknowledging a fellow motorcyclist and always return a wave, unless I'm accelerating and shifting or intent on avoiding the auto about to do yet another stupid maneuver. I'm 68 and on my 17th bike and enjoying it even more.
mii54ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:40 PM   #68
veepster
Registered Member

dmorga1,

Very well stated. Your last sentence sums it all up for me. I'm 37 with 20 years on. Take pride in riding like a pro and PLEASE... be careful and don't allow yourself to get complacent with your newfound comfort. (Pilots go through this phase, too) It takes a conscious effort to stay frosty and keep "ahead" of your bike.

Take the MSF advanced course if you haven't already. It's definitely worth a day of your time.

Ride safe Brother!

-veep
veepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:04 AM   #69
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Any way you want to acknowledge another rider is OK; Low wave, High wave, Nod, Salute, Chest Thump, whatever, IMHO. The "Low wave" takes advantage of the air disturbed by the bike to make it consideribly easier than the "High wave" in "clean" air at highway speeds.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:56 AM   #70
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Thanks Man. I always assumed the Wing Guys were too old and blind to determine whether I was waving or flipping them off so they did nothing, just to be safe! The Harley Guys that don't wave I assumed were such "newbies" that even a Nod would be beyond their abilities (wouldn't want to lose balance with violent head movements!) I've known way too many old time "Real Harley Guys". I know they love to ride, I know they wave.

I ride a Naked Standard (ZRX) these days and here in So. Fla. it seems that most everyone waves unless they don't see you or need to be on their on their game in "Heavy" traffic (they may slip in a nod).

I have always thought (without really thinking about it) that the more motorcycles and motorcyclists the better. I now believe that if we ever become as ubiquitous as cages we may lose far more than we would ever gain.

In reading the posts it occurs to me that many in the younger generation don't feel the bond that many of the guys that have been riding longer do, what a loss.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote