Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-03-2005, 08:57 AM   #51
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Am I the only one tired of the motorcyclist wave?

Now that I ride an HD I don't wave at anyone. Just sneer.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2005, 09:05 AM   #52
SquireJim
Founding Member

You know, I grew up in Brooklyn, NY, where if you said "hello" to someone, they thought you were nuts. Now, I've been in Florida for 22 years, and sayin' "Hi" to folks is just a nice gesture. So, here it is...Is it your years of riding experience that somehow make you feel above waving to folks? Is it the fact that you've had a couple of rough months at the office? What? I mean, what's wrong with acknowledging that you're having as great a day as the folks waving to you from the other bike? If you are...WAVE! If not, or if it's raining, or you're in the middle of a tight turn...DON'T! But why over-analyze the whole thing into a newbie biker vs. seasoned road warrior (like yourself) thing? ENJOY THE RIDE!
SquireJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 09:31 AM   #53
Concours1995
Founding Member

I have been riding almost 25 years myself (IÂ’m 42). Always rode Japanese bikes until last month when I bought my first H-D. I never understood why the Harley guys would not wave unless you were also riding an H-D. Now that I have one, highway workers, cops, cagers, 1%ers, squids, everybody waves?

I enjoy everything about riding and unless traffic or rode conditions prohibit, IÂ’m goÂ’na give ya a big O, West Texas Wave! If you donÂ’t wave back, your loss.
Concours1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:39 AM   #54
Holy_Kaw
Founding Member

"I even wave to scooter riders, which generally leaves them confused." LOL, me too!

I wave and wave and wave. Any that don't return the wave I figure are overcompensating for being in their heart of hearts ashamed of not being Man enough to stop the 'ol lady from kickin' their butt or from that Priest/Scout leader thing from their youth. Relax, no one thinks you're gay because of that horrible victimization (although technically I guess they'll always be ****suckers). May their tortured souls find peace. Any bike on the side of the road I stop.

I wave and wave and wave. I have found that the guys/gals that just like to ride and aren't trying to make any "statement" are a cool and interesting group in general. Of course if one was too lazy to wave (?!) one could ride their whole life and miss out on one of the best parts of riding, fellow Motorcyclists IMHO.

I wave to my "Brothers of the wind" sharing the Joy and camaraderie of the Ride, even when two riders pass traveling in different directions. Most get it and wave back.

PS Yes there are times and situations that preclude waving to every Rider you see. Check with your friendly local Motorcyclist for the scoop.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:51 AM   #55
SRMark
Founding Member

Last month, I went to the hospital to have a chest pain checked out, got scheduled for a heart cath during which they found a 90% blockage of my LAD, fixed it and now I'm back to normal. Given that I dodged one huge dirt nap, I wave to everything. I'm just glad to be able to see a bike on the road and be able to wave. My sister in law just died from a brain tumor. She was about the same age as me (early 50s). What you got to be so grumpy about? That bad attitude is gonna give you heart trouble. Smile, wave and enjoy life.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 11:19 AM   #56
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

LOL Good one. Thanks for brightening up a yucky monday...
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 11:35 AM   #57
nesbit
Founding Member

That was unkind, but thank you for at least acknowledging my existence, pathetic as it may be.
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:01 PM   #58
gcmartin
Founding Member

OK, at the risk of getting flamed--I'm back on a bike on after 25 years or so, what the correct way to wave?

I've noticed on the freeway in the carpool lane, when I pull to the left side to let the 'ninjas pass, they give me sort of a two finger wave with their left hand held low and far back.

I figure it's because it lowers the wind resistance.
gcmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:22 PM   #59
billhawley
Founding Member

I think it's just a way of recognizing a kindred spirit. Think about it: If a car or bike is on the side of the road, which one are you most likely to make a bigger effort to stop for, just to see if they need a hand? Granted, they may both need help, but you can sit safely ensconced in a cage awaiting help (AAA/ tow truck, etc,) but a breakdown on a bike is a lot more difficult to manage, "logistically" speaking. Harder to find a place to fix it for one thing. That guy REQUIRES a little more attention, and we can all easily see ourselves there.

While there's a lot more of us out there than years ago, there's still a feeling like we're all part of a special fraternity.
billhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 01:50 PM   #60
zxr250cc
Founding Member

I started riding in the late 1960's and bought my first bike in the early 1970's. Back then we waved at each other when we were riding since everyone else thought we were SOCIALLY SUSPECT, at best. As more and more folks ride waving has come and gone in popularity at times, it seems to me. I have also lived in Japan several times and they don't wave over there to any extent but that is a different culture. I can't believe this topic bothered you enough to post... Please relax, watch the road and enjoy life. I am always out to RFP when I have the time. Ride For Pleasure!
zxr250cc is offline   Reply With Quote