Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-03-2005, 05:18 AM   #41
teknoman
Registered Member

Default Re: Am I the only one tired of the motorcyclist wave?

Geez,what are you going to do when you are my age?[54yrs old].There is going to come a time,when you won,t be able to get on your bike,you will need help even putting on your pants.Enjoy the freedom and mobility you have now,wave.Hell ,I even wave to bikers when I am in my cage,just to let them know that not all cagers are idiots...
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2005, 05:45 AM   #42
wallace666
Registered Member

Waving isn't mandatory, but the waving ritual is a sign that your waving at another person in your brotherhood of motorcyclist. Only time I don't wave back is if I'm in the middle of a corner, leaned over. I prefer to keep both hands on the bars at that time. Well, some day you may be stuck on the side of the road needing help, I bet you'll be waving at your bro's then, heheh.....Hope they don't know it's you Grumpy!!
wallace666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:02 AM   #43
Concours1995
Founding Member

LOL, Been Riding almost 25 years myself (IÂ’m 42). Always rode Japanese bikes until last month when I bought my first H-D. I never understood why the Harley guys would not wave unless you were also riding an H-D. Now that I have one, highway workers, cops, cagers, 1%ers, squids, everybody waves?

I enjoy everything about riding and unless traffic or rode conditions prohibit, IÂ’m goÂ’na give ya a big O, West Texas Wave! If you donÂ’t wave back, your loss.

Concours1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:04 AM   #44
caderider
Registered Member

Touché! LOL
Old 10-03-2005, 06:08 AM   #45
caderider
Registered Member

I like toast with butter & creamcheese with jam!
Old 10-03-2005, 06:10 AM   #46
bboule
Founding Member

Especially when I'm in a good mood I will wave to everyone, I'm like a happy puppy, I've got the big grin on my face, why shouldn't I wave.

Funny as yesterday I went up to Loudon to watch the races. Loudon happens to be right near Laconia. I had been having a really awesome ride and was feeling great. As you get closer to Loudon & Laconia the roads get really straight so I was waving to everyone. Funny thing is as you near Laconia there are a ton of the poser cruiser dudes out. For some reason they are attracted to Laconia all year round, even though there is absolutely nothing to see there outside of bike week. Well anyway those guys are certainly too cool to wave, what with their no helmets, girlfriend on the back, and temporary plates. Or the clown with the terminator sunglasses and a surgical mask. (Surgical mask??? Is that cool now?)

Not that it really bothered me or ruined my ride... I just enjoy waving when I'm having a good time. Even if I'm railing the twisties it can be fun to wave even when leaned over, it is not like it's hard to do, and if you've got the corner set up well and your posture is right it won't upset the bike.
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:12 AM   #47
rpt
Registered Member

man, you need to ride more or at least enjoy your rides...
rpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:13 AM   #48
caderider
Registered Member

Hey! I do NOT have an espresso machine installed, but the microwave gets put in next week
Old 10-03-2005, 07:15 AM   #49
James_Brown
Registered Member

While I recognize that numerous Corvette drivers are cheeseball poseurs it is ridiculous to call such a capable car (for much of its history and certainly in its present state) a "pseudo sporting car". There certainly have been multiple model years (most of the 70s and much of the 80s for instance) of the Corvette that left something to be desired, but I think the good outweighs the bad. I'd be curious to know what it would take for something to be a "real" sporting car in your estimation.

As a note, I have never owned a Corvette and I was born well after the 50s.

As for waving, I generally do so myself. I ride a Ducati Monster, so I fall "in-between" a lot of the normal divides (Cruiser vs. sportbike, Japanese vs. American). My anecdotal experiences seem similar to others as to who does and doesn't wave. I actually find that the more "biker-looking" HD types generally wave. The more, shall we say, clean-cut HD riders are the ones who don't wave. Gold Wing riders generally don't wave, most sportbike riders do, most metric cruiser riders do and BMW riders are about 50-50.

I even wave to scooter riders, which generally leaves them confused.
James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:16 AM   #50
gforces
Founding Member

Drivers are not supposed to remove either hand from the steering wheel while driving, and motorcyclists shouldn't either. However, people do drive that way, and while some people can ride with both hands tied to their back, I can't.

I wave when I can, but don't when I can't. I don't think anyone thinks badly of it when I'm out there, but I don't worry about it, and neither should you. What matters more is your riding. Socialization can take place before/after.
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote