Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Am I the only one tired of the motorcyclist wave? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3056-am-i-only-one-tired-motorcyclist-wave.html)

boru4761 10-03-2005 03:07 AM

Re: Am I the only one tired of the motorcyclist wave?

I don't know I like 'to much beer' better.

As toasts go, it had a nice ring to it.

boru4761 10-03-2005 03:14 AM

This just breaks my heart.

Too busy? Too pure?

These seem like pretty weak excuses to me.

What is your real issue?

P.S. Work in the head nod or the two-finger-with-your-hand-still-on-the-grip wave or just tear up your motobrother card right now.

FX1200 10-03-2005 03:25 AM

It is all about peers acknowledging each others existence.

Cops do it, funeral directors do it, trash truck drivers do it, bus drivers do it, even bicyclist in remote areas will wave to their peers.

Whether or not you return the wave, you will be forgotten in about 10 seconds after the encounter.

naco_traficante 10-03-2005 03:27 AM

Like the Governator said "I now know why you wave, but it is something I can never do"

jhof989620 10-03-2005 03:40 AM

I've been riding about a year and a half and have noticed on a really nice weekend the waving is outta control.....but I wave back as much as I can. Like some of the other posters...if I'm in the middle of something I don't. ...and if I'm grumpy I try to get the head nod in.

bigjames 10-03-2005 03:52 AM

Yes, you are grumpy beyond your years...

Well, send a picture to MO so we all know who to flip off instead of wave to in the future....what a jerk.

I wave all all motorcyclists and have been for over 20 years (and I ride BMWs and H-Ds, the most not waving of all the marques) and +10 years older than you (bet your more Conservative and self-centered too). When they don't wave back and the obviously see me, I just automatically assume that they are enjoying that corn cob shoved up their arse. Will assume that you enjoy yours as well...

CaptainColon 10-03-2005 03:54 AM

Are you too busy to hold doors for people too? :P

I don't really see too many bikers around here (cept during Americade ;) ), maybe 20 or 30 on a 200-300mi weekend. Around town, a good half of those are some guy with no gear on a bike that's never going to get out of first gear. I still wave to them and I usually get a wave back, but it just doesn't FEEL the same as waving to the old guy (who obviously had his beard before they were cool) on the beat-up old Norton Commando up in the Adriondacks.

Must be a SoCal thing.

gbrummett 10-03-2005 04:09 AM

I'm 47 and still waving...

36 and you can't take your and off the bar and wave! Guess you won't even have the strenght to go ride by the time you are 47.

gjbedna 10-03-2005 05:13 AM

YES, YOU ARE.

seruzawa 10-03-2005 05:17 AM

Here are twenty reasons for not waving back that you might look at. Any one is better than your lame-o attitude.

TOP TEN REASONS GOLD WING RIDERS

MAY NOT WAVE BACK

10...Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture

9...Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed

from heated grip.

8...Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have

made it difficult to raise arm

7...Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him

6...The expresso machine just finished

5...Was actually asleep when other rider waved

4...Was in a three-way conference call with

stock broker and accessories dealer

3...Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button

on dashboard

2...Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system

and the Number One reason Gold Wing riders

don't wave back:

1...They couldn't see through the glare from the chromed dash accents

TOP TEN REASONS HARLEY RIDERS MAY NOT WAVE BACK

10...Afraid it will invalidate warranty.

9...Leather and studs make it too hard to raise arm.

8...Refuses to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.

7...Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.

6...Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.

5...Angry because they just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.

4...Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by those rice burner manufacturers.

3...Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.

2...Remembers the last time that a Harley rider waved back, and he impaled his hand on his spiked helmet.

...and the Number One reason Harley riders don't wave back:

1...They're jealous that, after spending $30,000, they still don't own a Gold Wing!