Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-02-2005, 02:25 PM   #11
Karlton_Hamilton
Registered Member

Default I'll wave out of courtesy, if you don't wave back--no problemo...

At 37, after 20 years of street riding, I'm not a grumpy motorcyclist. In fact, I'm happiest and most relaxed when on the bike. I'll wave at Harley's, metric cruisers, sportbikes, dual sports, and anything on 2 wheels--even bicycles

I enjoy seeing others on bikes and don't consider it a brotherhood when I wave--just a kind gesture.

Ride safe,

Karl

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2005, 02:48 PM   #12
ulhpilot
Registered Member

Default Re: Am I the only one tired of the motorcyclist wave?

See if you feel the same after riding for 35 years, or longer. Riding a motorcycle is one of the last pure viseral activities left in today's high pressure/high tech society. With safety in mind first, I'll always return another motorcyclist's wave.
ulhpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 02:49 PM   #13
MOwings
Founding Member

Depends on the situation. I always wave unless it just gets rediculous. For example, waving to every Harley at Sturgis or to every sportbike at the USGP is insane, but any other time I try to wave if I can. If someone doesn't wave though it certainly doesn't hurt my feelings and I'm sure it doesn't bother most people. So, if your arm is about to fall off from waving too much, and you want to stop, I'm sure it won't hurt anyone's feelings. Wer'e all grownups here Well, most of us.
MOwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 03:06 PM   #14
michaelpharvey
Registered Member

Just nod your head to those who wave. Less distracting and requires less physical exertion!
michaelpharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 03:19 PM   #15
dmorga1
Founding Member

I'm only 30 and maybe not grumpy yet. I've been riding for 3 years now, and have just recently gotten pretty comfortable on the bike (uh-oh). I always wave as long as I'm not pulling in the clutch or watching the cars in front of me intently, as necessitated by ridiculous Chicago traffic. I find the sportbike poseurs in shorts and t-shirts rarely wave nor return one, but the guys on the big sport-cruisers in aerostitch suits, old dudes on '84 Hondas, guys like me on standards, and often, even the Harley guys will wave. I find the really courteous guys are the guys who ride like pros, with a positive attitude and riding within their limits. I'd like to be in THAT brotherhood. If that takes a wave when I can, I'm all for it.

P.S., the word is clique.
dmorga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 03:40 PM   #16
nesbit
Founding Member

The wave tradition was a spontaneous recognition by 2 guys that in a sea of tedious and uninspired repetition, they were unique - out there tooling about in their 2-seaters or on their motorbikes. The rarity of it is what made it special back when. It has now become a physically tedious and uninspired repetition in itself and approaches spastic laughability in any major American city.
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 04:59 PM   #17
ajohn505
Founding Member

Your post is a reminder that in this ocean of repetitive message board repetition, we can count on someone to write tedious and wordy prose in spastic fits from major American cities.
ajohn505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 05:12 PM   #18
John_Meloy
Founding Member

I enjoy the wave personally, but I don't do the whole hand off the handlebar thing. In my european riding experiences often I would wave and not get a wave back, but a two finger pointing gesture off the left grip while the ringman and pinky remained grasping the clutch for that emergency downshift if necessary! I find the hand gesture while still grasping the bars to be a good way to go. Takes no effort at all, and you can even do it while making complicated steep angle parking lot maneuvers, gunning through the fast stuff at mach 90 where the G-Forces would rip your arm from the bike otherwise, and it even works while riding with a beer in hand (though that does impede clutch actuation). Don't get unhappy when people smile, wave, or are otherwise nice and complimentary to you on the road... unless you really want to be a badass and not have any friends. I always think of it as good motorcyclist karma for the next time I run out of gas 200 miles from nowhere -- not that that has ever happened mind you.
John_Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 05:21 PM   #19
Dixit
Registered Member

I guess that after all the comments, it is save to say that your are the problem
Dixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 05:39 PM   #20
Rottenruss
Registered Member

It is true! In the 50's, every sportscar driver (and there were few) shared the 'brotherhood" by waving to one another. Enter Corvette and other pseudo sporting cars, and that ended forever. I cherish the tradition and feel only disgust toward the SoCal wannabees too cool to wave at #1Metrics or #2Sportbikes or #3 Anyone NOT trying to look tough. Where are all these bikes on my morning commute?
Rottenruss is offline   Reply With Quote