Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 09-28-2005, 08:54 PM   #31
dromanucci
Registered Member

Default Re: Bike prices: ''Too high''? Factored properly in comparos?

I have been riding since the mid 70's. Dirt bikes then, I am not as expirienced as triples guy. But I did have the bejeebers scared out of me buy the neighbor's 18 year old son on his Kawi 500 triple. He had sidburns just like Norm Nixon!

I always enjoy the compare what I made then and what I make now version of inflation measureing. Cause I love the good old days as much as the next guy. But the consumer price index comparison method says that the MOFO's are not only right, they are understating the case.

In 1970 the CPI value was roughly 38.8. In 2005, so far, it is about 195.5. This means that something that cost $995.00 in 1970, would cost $5010.82, in absolute dollars. Not as much fun but an interesting conversation any way.

Here is the link to the CPI calculator I used. I am only so much of a geek.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/cpicalc.html

dromanucci is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-29-2005, 02:57 AM   #32
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: relive the past....

Or buy an old Shovel to get the full effect
Old 09-29-2005, 03:19 AM   #33
SRMark
Founding Member

Yeah, I think my '76 RD400 was $1,295. But that is recall from a brain born in 1954. Adjusted for inflation, I probably have the brain of a third grader now. Too many beers, too many years.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 04:03 AM   #34
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Can't resist the airplane reference...

1970 Britbike vs a modern sportbike? More like a Stearman Trainer vs an A/F-18.

A Phantom is still faster on the deck than an F-18 or an F-16. Don't ever discount that leaky old bird. Back in the 80's when the Air Natl Guard was still flying F-4s those "old" pilots would regularly humiliate young Academy whippersnappers in their shiny new F-15s and F-16s.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:06 AM   #35
anrajala
Founding Member

240Z can not be compared to 350Z. Even any Korean run-of-the-mill econobox available today is far superior a car than 240Z.

Things are getting cheaper all around.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:55 AM   #36
stapleking
Founding Member

We dyno'd stock H1's at 50-51 RWHP when I was production racing them. When we got done "prepping" them - 60 RWHP.

Don't ask.
stapleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 10:17 AM   #37
sarnali
Founding Member

Extra motors laying around?

I wondered that too, someone pointed out the 270* motor may be torquier for "off road" riding but I don't know. I like the classic 360* motor myself, it just sounds right. I have half a mind to turn my Thrux. into a Scrambler, it's all bolt on. One of the beauties of the Bonneville line up is most of the parts are interchangable between the Thruxton, T100 and standard Bonnie. I'm sure the scrambler will be along those lines.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:23 AM   #38
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: relive the past....

Make mine in a "cone".
Old 09-29-2005, 01:43 PM   #39
cornercarver
Founding Member

Simply comparing inflation adjusted dollar amounts and then comparing 'features' isn't really sufficient, because technology has moved on. The question has to be, how does a top of the line sport bike today compare, infaltion adjusted, to a top of the line sport bike back then. Similarly, how does the price of a middleweight today compare to the inflation adjusted price of a middleweight then. Of course todays middlewiehgt is light years better than yesterdays top of the line sportbike. That has never been in question. However, how much more expensive (or less) is it to purchase the best that mass produced technology can offer today than it was to purchase the top of the line tech back then.
cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 03:34 PM   #40
nesbit
Founding Member

Discounting all the interesting arguments about inflation and adjusted $ purchasing power, the thing that continues to amaze me is that with all the tech advances and close comparative cost of carbs vs EFI, that any manufacturer has the cojones in 2006 to charge 7 to 9 thousand for a machine outfitted with carburetors. Really inexcusable!
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote