Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 09-19-2005, 04:18 PM   #1
gas_pig
Founding Member

Default Re: Scooters! Learn to love 'em.

I'd take a Honda Big Ruckus; but I'm not selling a bike for one.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2005, 04:33 PM   #2
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Look for a 300% spike in scooter crashes!

I've been helping a friend purchase scooters for his shop in San Francisco, so I know the used scooter market well.

My prediction is there will be a glut of lightly-used, once-crashed scooters on the market next summer. Dented Vespas and scuffed Zumas with under 1000 miles on them.

I don't know what their problem is, but first-time scooter buyers approach motorcycling from a car-owner perspective, and they don't like it when reality smacks them on the a$$. They go into a scooter shop with no education or training, but the scooter that looks the most like their weird fantasy dream scooter (Vespa sells more units than BMW in the USA!) and put it on a credit card.

Motorcycle training is too inconvenient for these people; they don't want to wait...they want to scoot NOW!

We need mandatory training for everybody, not just sub 18 year-olds. If you need it for an airplane, you should need it for a scooter or motorcycle. Yes, even 50cc.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:36 PM   #3
FrankS1
Founding Member

All their friends are getting scooters, and if you can afford to live in Jackson hole, you are paying pocket change for a scooter. Mileage is a handy excuse.

Of course, it's already the middle of September, and within a month, the only residents of the area riding scooters will be the waiters, barkeeps and housekeepers. (Well that's assuming the purchasers pass the latest toy to someone who can use it; sooner or later somebody might..)
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:47 PM   #4
sqidbait
Founding Member

What do I think?

I think I'd be hard pressed to recommend buying a scooter when one can get a perfectly good Kawasaki Ninja250 for 3 grand. {shrug}

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:47 PM   #5
naco_traficante
Registered Member

It's funny how the cagers think it's dangerous to play in traffic with full-sized bikes but it's safe to be in the streets with smaller vehicles like scoots. Bikers are the ones taking their lives in their hands but scoots are somehow different ... anything so cute must be safe, right ?

naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:01 PM   #6
DaveFla
Founding Member

What do I think? I think that early next year might be an ideal time to support any and all attempts to get expanded rider education bills passed by my state legislature...

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:25 PM   #7
Fenton
Founding Member

I'm starting to think it's just me, scooters scare the hell out of me. They are great fun in Burmuda and always seem like a good idea in shorts and sandals. (kidding)

I feel really vulnerable in traffic. I rather find an early 80's honda 750 Super Sport for $1100 and use the extra 4k on gas.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:14 PM   #8
yo-me-mo
Founding Member

anyone have any idea just what kind of mpg a 80cc scooter gets ? I know a 883 sportster gets about 60 mpg. How well do these scooters really do ?
yo-me-mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:53 PM   #9
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

I knew I guy back in another geologic era (the 60's) that had a Vespa. Gas pumps in those days didn't have vapor recovery systems or anything. He would hit half a dozen gas stations after they closed, and just drain the gas out of their hoses, and he was good for another day or two. He said they kinda suck when it rains, but have better weather protection, at least for your lower body, than motorcycles.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 11:19 PM   #10
RRocket
Founding Member

Default How good? Over 110MPG...!!

The Aprilia SR50 Ditech is the most technologically advanced scooter on the market. It's fuel injected 50cc 2 stroke goes 50-55MPH in de-restricted form (a simple ECU mod done at a dealer) and delivers an amazing 110+MPG. The factory claims nearly 140MPG, but the best I've heard has been 125MPG..still not too shabby just for tooling around in the city.....
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote