Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 09-20-2005, 09:38 AM   #31
BMob
Founding Member

Default Re: Scooters! Learn to love 'em.

Scooters rock. I have been riding one for six months now and love 'em. Most scooter are lighter than motorcycles, therefore yielding higher fuel economy. They do not require shifting and also require less maintenance. Furthermore, Chinese-made scooters can be obtained for much less than most entry-level bikes .
BMob is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-20-2005, 11:15 AM   #32
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: Scooters!

Sacramento.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:20 AM   #33
gaineso42
Founding Member

But in the 60s that 25 cents was equal to 2 dollars today. In the 60s it was more painful to my6 wallet to buy gas than it is today. And yes, I do make more money now, by a bunch, but I had good jobs back then too and that gas bill hurt. The Bonny got a heck of a lot better mileage than the TriPower Poncho, but it still hurt to put that 32 cents a gallon Sunoco 260 in either of them.
gaineso42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:38 AM   #34
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Scooters!

..oh, sorry...didn't mean to dis you with the Canada jacket. Did you hear the thing run? Four striker?
Old 09-20-2005, 12:45 PM   #35
silski
Founding Member

Default Re: Look for a 300% spike in scooter crashes!

As a Flight Instructor and motorcyclist, I'll say that flying an airplane is much more work than riding a motorcycle or scooter. However, a motorcycle is definately more body and mind work than a car, so I have to agree.
silski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:00 PM   #36
silski
Founding Member

The worst thing about what you guys said is that the oil companies know this very well. They can jack up the price a couple of cents per gallon every month and know that the American public won't drive less, or start driving more fuel efficient cars (or other vehicles). That's why they've been having record profits for the past 5 years.

I'd love to see more people on motorcycles... sure, the aquisition cost, extra insurance, and maintenance of most bikes outweigh the fuel savings, but just think of the help we're doing to the environment. Plus, riding a motorcycle makes you a safer driver in your car. You're so much more aware.

P.S. I call my bike the "Reducing-Our-Dependence-On-Foreign-Oil Machine"
Old 09-20-2005, 01:03 PM   #37
silski
Founding Member

I have a '90 EX500 (old Ninja 500) and it really is the perfect commuting tool. 55-60 mpg on 87 octane and you get better if you tuck down onto the tank.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:08 PM   #38
Rubble
Founding Member

I'm amazed at the lack of knowledge shown around here regarding scooters and especially the big scooters like the Suzuki Burgmans, Yamaha Majesty, Honda Silverwing, Aprilia Scarabeo etc, etc.

Check out http://www.Burgmanusa.com
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 03:19 PM   #39
nesbit
Founding Member

New York City is suddenly crawling with scoots - police, delivery messengers, private. Seems to confirm what everyone else is seeing.
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 03:56 PM   #40
Gluge
Registered Member

Yea, I love my 91' EX500, was only a little over a grand, and a month after I got it a lady backed into it when it was parked, it was still ridable, but the fairing was cracked and it broke a turn single scratched some stuff up, the lady was being a PITA so I just called her insurance. That same day I got a check just $70 shy of what I payed for the whole bike. So it's already payed for itself! My MPG is only 40 or so though, maybe it needs to be tuned better, or maybe I like the throttle too much?
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote