Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 09-19-2005, 02:12 PM   #31
NinjaSquid
Founding Member

Default Re: Twenty-year high. But not the good kind.

Great point. Think a graduated system like those is Europe may be the ticket? "These kids will be needed for the war effort in Iran. " You meant Iraq right or did I miss the declaration of war on Iran?
NinjaSquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2005, 02:31 PM   #32
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Nice Try but wrong again

"Between 1997 and 2004, motorcycle registrations in Montana nearly doubled, increasing from 17,978 to 34,433. The total number of wrecks involving riders rose from 307 in 1997, to 400 in 2004."

Registrations doubled. Wrecks increased 33% in the same period. Looks like the trend sez riders are getting better.

Oops. I did push the wrong button on the 'ol HP calculator:

2004 had 18 wrecks/35,000 = .05%

2005 had 24 wrecks/35,000 = .07%

Still, man what a huge statistic! Better take action now! Crisis at hand!

Get a clue. That change is statistically insignificant. I'll bet that the cagers got a lot worse accident rate than .07%.

Old 09-19-2005, 02:37 PM   #33
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Lies, dammed lies and statistics

I remember reading a spoof "proof" that "proved" that the exponential increase in people being killed in wars beginning in the 20th Century was "caused" by giving women the vote. Those two facts correlate well staistically.

Speaking of which... women are suffraging all around the world! What a scandal! Stop women's' suffraging now!
Old 09-19-2005, 02:44 PM   #34
seruzawa
The Toad

Statistically, an increase of 37% in the case of, say, 15,000 deaths one year and 20,500 the next would be significant. But an increase of 13 deaths total is not. Heck, a small group of GPTBs getting waxed by a lunatic driving a motorhome while making "bang bang" noises with a broomstick could account for the 13 deaths. It says nothing about the general motorcycling climate in Montana.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:45 PM   #35
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Nice Try but wrong again 2

What is the precentage increase from .05% to .07%

(.07-.05)/.05 = .02/.05 = 40% increase. (i.e 37% like the article said).

Definitely a significant increase. Nice Try. Is that a HP 41CV or is that a cheap o 15C? I loved my HP 41CV
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 02:52 PM   #36
NinjaSquid
Founding Member

LOL Yep. I think you are right these numbers are around the noise level.. comparing 2 years can't till you much. And it sure can't tell you that the chief cause is not wearing helmets. From my personal experience I think training is probably the biggest factor. Doesn't MSF have statistics that back that up?
NinjaSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:10 PM   #37
12er
Founding Member

If Iraq had gone remotely smooth we would already be in Iran.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:39 PM   #38
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Nice Try but wrong again 2

Stick with designing cup holders. You know nothing about statistical analysis. That much is obvious.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:36 PM   #39
dylanmo
Founding Member

Default Re: Nice Try but wrong again 2

someone please tell me that they see what I see in this thread
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:41 PM   #40
oleland
Registered Member

Being that I live in Montana and a retired firefighter-paramedic I must respond. My two riding partners who are both firefighter-paramedics and I have often discussed the high accident rate in our area and we try to find out what happened when a motorcyclist has crashed. Montana also has the distinction of having the highest alcohol related motor vehicle death rate in the US,and motorcycle riders are no exception.High speed driving by both cagers and motorcyclists contribute to the problem as well . We also live in a tourist area and the roads are highly congested during the summer months.

Our new governor has recognized the problem and has decided to pay overtime to highway patrolman to get more coverage on week ends to try to cut down on speeding and drunk driving.My wife and I listened to this disturbing report on the Electra-glide radio today as we rode through Glacier Park.