Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 09-19-2005, 10:58 AM   #21
ncelik
Registered Member

Default Re: Twenty-year high. But not the good kind.

As funny as it sounds: There is some wisdom there. Not like it has not been done. AFAIK, in Italy you are limited to 45hp cars once you get your license.
ncelik is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2005, 11:03 AM   #22
bod
Founding Member

None of this really matters because we are the land of the free and as long as we pay taxes rotate out political parties and dont investigate the government waste we will be left alone. I am not saying being left alone is a good thing for all of us but for most its good and thats great.
bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 11:45 AM   #23
maladg
Registered Member

Default Re: Lies, dammed lies and statistics

The problem is you are a card carrying member of the GPTB.....a dasterdly thing!

Wish I had enough hair for a ponytail.

Your accurate comment on stats reminds me of an insurance study I read yrs ago in the CPCU Journal. The author - just for fun - managed to show a correlation with high conf. factor between living proximity to bookstores with lukemia. The author was showing the correlation is not causality and blowing holes in the tired old idea that power lines cause health problems.

I get sooo tired of the amateurs. Geez....
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 12:01 PM   #24
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Nice Try but wrong again

"Through the second week of Sept. 26 motorcycle riders have been killed in wrecks throughout the state. That is a 37 percent increase over the 18 deaths reported during that same period last year" The 37 percent increase was from 2004 to 2005, The number bikes registered doubled between 1997 and 2004 i.e. 7 years. About a 10% growth rate per year (compound rule 72)

Therefore assuming the same growth rate in registerations, the number of bikes went up 10% last year but the deaths went up 37%

See the problem now with your arguemnt Seruzawa?

sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 12:18 PM   #25
NinjaSquid
Founding Member

Default Re: Nice Try but wrong again

One year doesn't make a trend bandit. Could be just a blip like back in 1985. Even if it is the start of a trend I don't think helmet laws are the only thing going on. Older riders returning to the sport and more powerful bikes for squids have to be right up there. But we don't have enough info.
NinjaSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 01:03 PM   #26
Tigercub
Founding Member

I think the skill level is lacking for the size and power of bikes available these days.

But then, years ago the brakes didn't work for shyt and 60mph hasn't changed, so there are other factors. One of these is that cars are much easier to control than they used to be.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 01:43 PM   #27
edward44
Founding Member

That is my point exactly. While the old Brit bikes had no brakes, they also had puny HP so not a lot of skill was required and they weren't going to get away from you either. Todays race replicas with their very powerfull brakes and explosive acceleration are another kettle of fish and the toll in the unskilled reflects this. As I have said, those old bikes were easy.

edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 01:46 PM   #28
edward44
Founding Member

Good thinking. But I am sure anyone subjected to this regimen would decide to take up golf.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:49 PM   #29
edward44
Founding Member

That is my point exactly. While the old Brit bikes had no brakes, they also had puny HP so not a lot of skill was required and they weren't going to get away from you either. Todays race replicas with their very powerfull brakes and explosive acceleration are another kettle of fish and the toll in the unskilled reflects this. As I have said, those old bikes were easy.

Old 09-19-2005, 02:06 PM   #30
dylanmo
Founding Member

sarnali didn't say that ridership went up 37%. Did you miss this?

"‘Statistically, fatalities bounce around humongously from year to year,'' he said. ‘‘You really have to look at long-term trends. I keep thinking the number is going to take off and we're going to have 40 fatalities one of these years, but it hasn't happened."

so no, helmet laws didnt cause shiat
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote