Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 09-12-2005, 09:18 AM   #31
drthompson65
Founding Member

Default Re: Insurers in hot pursuit of the motorcycle market

Geico gave me the best rate on a 2004 Ducati 999. $300 a year. Full coverge. Everyone else wanted 1200..
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2005, 09:19 AM   #32
theirishscion
Registered Member

I've had insurance through Bikeline for about 3 years now but I don't think my experience is terribly meaningful in this context, I just carry liability (100/300 I suspect but don't quote me on that) on my CB750 and it seems to be essentially free.

I forget exactly what I'm paying but of the order of $60/year. So essentially free, from my backwards europeon perspective anyway (I shudder to think what it'd cost to insure a 29yr old on a 750 in Ireland nowadays). They've always been very nice to deal with, personal and responsive on the phone etc, but then I've never had a claim made against me so I don't know how that would go. I have yet to have a moving violation stick in court since I moved to Texas in 2000 so I imagine I have a somewhat artificially clean record as well. First year's insurance was about $160, then $110, most recently like I say, about $60. I'm wondering vaugely where they're going to bottom out...
Old 09-12-2005, 09:48 AM   #33
seruzawa
The Toad

Two bikes (one is considered a high performance bike.. please don't laugh). 50/100 liability and uninsured motorists coverage. $146 per year total. My cars are also drastically cheaper than what I paid in L.A. Full coverage on my 3/4 ton.... $360 per year.

Now if I can only get my wives to stop riding off on them.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:12 AM   #34
RRRIDER
Registered Member

Really? Are you over 60? J/k, in the fall of 2002 I tried to get a quote from GEICO on an 02 RC51 and they told me "we don't insure motorcylces at this time" (maybe they meant sporkbikes). Plus their quote on my car was 90% higher than my current insurance company.

USAA and State Farm seem to be the cheapest in my experience and Progressive is the most expensive on motorcycle insurance ($3000 + a year for an RC51). It seems like you are rolling the dice when dealing with certain companies, because I never seem to get a quote that's even remotely similar to the one I received the last time I called. By the way, I was 25 with a clean driving record the last time I looked around.
RRRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:46 PM   #35
maladg
Registered Member

I'm a bit suprised to see so many with coverage with big foot nationals as opposed to specialty carriers but that brings up a good point: shop HARD for insurance. The name don't matter but the financial rating does.

Visit your library or look up Bests online. Stay with "A" rated companies.

If you do break out your bike coverage like I did (HO & auto with S. Farm) be sure to get adequate liab limits if you have a personal liab umbrella.

maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:47 PM   #36
maladg
Registered Member

Many carriers have pricing down to zip code levels.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:51 PM   #37
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I wish. My BMW is $1000/year and my pickup is insured as a second vehicle less than 7500 miles per year and it's still a $1000/year.

I can get better auto rates through Wawanesa here but they don't insure motorcycles.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:55 PM   #38
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Most states now have insurance info on the State Insurance Commisioners website. One can find out which company has the most complaints lodged against them.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:09 PM   #39
pplassm
Founding Member

Default That's the ticket!

See! As long as insurance is legally mandated, it will be expensive!
Old 09-12-2005, 05:47 PM   #40
g-bear
Founding Member

I have paid $75/year for my EN500 with Progressive in GA (and with two tickets in the past 3 years). I was 34.

Now I am 35, I moved to SC and they're trying to rape me! Is it the price to pay to be in a moron State w/out helmet law?
g-bear is offline   Reply With Quote