Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 09-09-2005, 08:04 AM   #1
CaptainColon
Founding Member

Default Re: "I can save my own life" thought of the day II

I know someone who went down at about 15mph when they hit some diesel stopping for a red light. "Excessive speed for conditions" was cited as the cause of the accident.

Just something to think about next time you see "excessive speed was a contributing factor in so and so many accidents"
CaptainColon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2005, 08:31 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

I think my daughter is making about 100 million of those phone calls.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:41 AM   #3
eisenfaust
Founding Member

Excessive speed for conditions can mean just about anything. I mean, if you were stopped, you obviously wouldnt have an accident (unless of course you got rear ended).

It seems like we're damned if we do, damned if we dont. Either go slowly or sit in traffic and get creamed by someone not paying attention to your presence on the road, or go faster than traffic and risk speeding tickets and, again, people being unaware of your existence.

I do find it funny that they referenced the 205mph speeding ticket thing.. when it was proven in court that his bike wasnt anywhere near capable of going that quickly. I think he got ticketed for something like 160mph, in the end.
eisenfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:42 PM   #4
flying_hun
Founding Member

Aauugghh!!! Here we go with the 205mph on the RC51 again. Technically, he's correct - the guy was cited for it. I think Will Rogers once said something to the effect of, "It's not what people don't know that's the problem, it's what they think they know that's wrong." Not an exact quote, but you get my drift.
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 01:13 PM   #5
pudlepirate
Registered Member

either way it sucks for him.
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 01:20 PM   #6
bod
Founding Member

people like to ***** wether it be fact or fiction it doesnt matter as long as they can *****.

Just like people like to cause havoc if some crack addicted soccer mom cuts me off usually its followed by the showing her middle finger just as I blow by her shaking my fist. Its not my fault she married some out of shape bum who doesnt blow up her skirt anymore and that her butt wont fit on the back of my bike. I didnt ask her to eat all those donuts. But at that instance it is all my fault. There now Im done *****ing and I feel better
bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
dug
Founding Member

So, if you're intoxicated AND speeding, then excessive speed is the contributing factor AND being intoxicated is the contributing factor? You know those statisticians use both in their figures. Makes better headlines, too. I wonder how they figure the speed is excessive? And how much is excessive? 1mph, 5mph, 10mph? Gee, if we knew these things before we crash, there'd be a lot less of them.
dug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:26 PM   #8
DougandCarol
Founding Member

I fall into the Damned it you do group. Lets face it, we are all distracted at some level. I commute over 12,000 miles a year.

The majority of people are aware of the movement of vehicles around them. If one keeps a "stagnant" distance in relation to the cagers around them, my experience is that I become invisible and at a higher risk of a cager moving into my "safety bubble", forcing me to take evasive action.

IMHO, a speeding ticket, in the above scenario, is just a cheap insurance payment.

DougandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:48 PM   #9
tsrzad
Registered Member

ain't that the truth...
Old 09-10-2005, 07:04 AM   #10
Orangetrak
Registered Member

LOL!
Orangetrak is offline   Reply With Quote