Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 09-07-2005, 02:48 AM   #1
boru4761
Registered Member

Default Re: ''I can save my own life'' thought of the day

First Post! Woo Hoo!
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2005, 02:49 AM   #2
aaronN
Founding Member

first post! now I will actually read the post.
aaronN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 02:49 AM   #3
aaronN
Founding Member

foiled again. O.K make that second post!
aaronN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 02:50 AM   #4
Grum
Registered Member

First post! A conservative attitude is definitely a safety plus but since when were motorcycles conservative? We'll always have the problem of speed killing peple who were attracted to the sport because of the speed! Sad but true.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:52 AM   #5
Grum
Registered Member

Default Not fair

That's two first posters beating me to first post while was actually typing MY first post. There's just too many people out there with not enough to do. Get out and ride your bikes or something.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:36 AM   #6
5valvethumper
Founding Member

First Post! I am so cool!
5valvethumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 03:37 AM   #7
pushrod
Founding Member

Default ''I can save my own life''

Is Speeding the leading cause of accidents, or is it the failure to stop (or avoid)?

I'm intrigued: What are the different four cards?

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 04:23 AM   #8
banditrider
Registered Member

"One of the leading causes of motorcycle injuries and deaths is speeding."

Several years ago, while pulling up to a stop light at about 15mph, I hit a puddle of diesel fuel and fell down. The cop that investigated the accident cited the cause as "excessive speed for conditions". So I don't believe those "speed kills" snippets. They are grossly contaminated.

Regards,

Mark G
banditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 04:25 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

I always observe the speed limits. I ride down I-15 and say to myself "Look at that 65mph speed limit sign. Isn't that nice?"

Last weekend they had those new big programmable displays on I-15 and I-80 all saying "DUI laws enforced". I said to my wife, "Look at that. And here I thought that they were going to ignore DUI laws on Labor Day weekend."

Your tax dollars at work.

Hutch, do they actually have people with actual M/C riding experience give the safety lectures, or is it still usually some brown bar who has bever ridden one?

Ninth post, by the way.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:30 AM   #10
cptaebphd
Founding Member

USAF is doing a great job trying to keep young motorcyclists from killing themselves, especially duing the "101 Critical Days of Summer."

Did you see the following:

[i] In a bold move to try to curb motorcycle accidents and to identify Airmen at higher risk for mishaps, Pacific Air Forces officials have implemented several programs command wide, including a restrictive motorcycle policy intended to bring safety to the forefront for every rider in the command.

The need for senior leader involvement to ensure the programÂ’s success is critical, said Master Sgt. Todd Parish, superintendent of plans and programs for PACAFÂ’s ground safety office.

"Commanders must make safety a priority to their younger Airmen," Sergeant Parish said.

The motorcycle policy the command instituted puts heavy emphasis on training and safety awareness as well as limiting those less experienced riders to vehicles more appropriate for their skill level.

For example, the policy restricts new motorcycle riders to driving machines that are under 600 cc, and they are not allowed to carry passengers for one year. This limits the amount of power at the hands of inexperienced riders and gives them time to develop the skills needed to operate safely.

One of the more successful safety programs adopted by PACAF has been the motorcycle mentorship program Sergeant Parish said.

The mentorship program puts experienced riders in a unit with less experienced riders to help them learn the proper skills necessary to ride safely.

"We implemented the mentorship program at Misawa (Air Base, Japan) over a year ago, and they have had no accidents since itÂ’s been in place," he said. The Air Base had averaged at least two motorcycle accidents per year for the five years prior to implementing the mentorship program.

cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote