Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 09-07-2005, 08:43 AM   #21
Agent0090
Founding Member

Default Re: ''I can save my own life'' thought of the day

The thing about the cards was kinda interesting. Not sure what it has to do with the Air Force, but interesting.

Surely there are fighter pilots somewhere laughing their a$$es off.

Other than that it was a real yawn.

Agent0090 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2005, 09:04 AM   #22
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: ''I can save my own life''

Hey, my first audible chuckle of the day. That's funny.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:07 AM   #23
boru4761
Registered Member

Two years of reading this site. I finally get a first post and everyone has to be a D I C K about it.
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:32 AM   #24
nitrofly
Founding Member

Default Re: ''I can save my own life''

somosa, bhaji, nan, and ace of paratha
Old 09-07-2005, 02:04 PM   #25
BMob
Founding Member

That's a good question about the cards. I am Persian and I did not even know that. It's time to delve into a little research . . .
BMob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 02:08 PM   #26
BMob
Founding Member

Default Playing Cards

FYI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playing_cards
BMob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 04:33 PM   #27
teknoman
Registered Member

I live at the bottom of nevada in las vegas,so I always try to ride the speed limit.Only because these cagers,taxi drivers ,etc.Now I will say the motorcycle cops and cops in general here are cool with bikers.
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 07:53 PM   #28
tsrzad
Registered Member

Hey, at least someone is trying to do more than the 'weave thru the cones, here's your license' thing. I did the MSF course, have read Hough and Ienatch, and wear all the gear every ride (which is several times a week). I see folks on gixxers and hogs hauling ass in the city with tank tops on pissing off cagers and scaring old ladies. The responsible among us often have to bear the brunt of the racer boy wannabes in the form of road rage, inflated insurance, etc.

All of that said, what do you guys think of the British system? I have been reading the excellent UK mag Bike for about 2 years now, and I gather the Brits have a far more formal process for new riders, including displacement and horsepower restrictions.

I am in favor of public policy taking riding more seriously. I advocate far more involved training, perhaps with even a graduated licensure system in which you have to demonstrate enough skill to bump up to the next level of horspower. I see the benefits including greater safety for all users of the road, more respect on the road from cagers, and lowered insurance rates for bigger bikes due to the ability to document the necessary skill and responsibilty.

Of course, this model should definitely be applied to SUV drivers as well, because motorcycle related stupidity is a fraction of the life endangering SUV road rage and rollovers. Anyone who has driven one of these dinosaurs knows that they handle like a 70's truck, which most essentially are. Understeer to oversteer happens in a flash as the ladder frame twists, dumping soccer mom and microwave gourmet dinners all over the road...

The 'big government bad' camp that sucks the teet of our current "administration" may bleat in discontent at such proposed regs, but it's painfully obvious that we are not mature enough to self regulate this stuff.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:52 AM   #29
IceWorm
Registered Member

Safety threads posted in here don't attract the kind of attention to stay up for very long so I thought I would weigh in before it gets pulled. It would seem obvious that those who ride need to obey the same laws that car drivers observe, if they want to survive to ride their next motorcycle. What I find endlessly entertaining is reading justifications for riding behavior on the street that everyone agrees is way outside the law. Not just readers mind you, but editors too. You see it in Sport Rider, Cycle World, indeed on this site too. There is no question that motorcycles constantly pull us toward the dark side when riding. Most of us would be well served by making some attempt to resist that pull occasionally. The more successful we are in that endeavor, the longer we will enjoy the sport.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 07:39 PM   #30
dukew
Founding Member

I understand there are some very nice roads in the People's Republic of China. Perhaps politically motivated posts will be more welcomed there. Bikes are Darwinism at its finest. Why mess with success? Now, if we could just do something about those SUVs. Maybe a rule that they must travel only in the slow lane along with the 18 wheelers. Nah, the long-haul guys wouldn't like that too much....
dukew is offline   Reply With Quote