Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 09-05-2005, 04:49 PM   #11
IceWorm
Registered Member

Default Re: How to Save New Orleans

"This will be a self-contained city of concrete and alloy".

Granted I live in Baton Rouge, but your description does not sound like the "Big Easy" I have grown to love!
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2005, 01:31 AM   #12
edward44
Founding Member

The only thing I remember about NO was that you could walk down the street with a drink in your hand and nobody messed with you. Is that why they called it the Big Easy?Oh yeah, that place that served those great pastry balls or whatever they were and the chicory coffee was great. Otherwise, bulldoze it.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 01:41 AM   #13
edward44
Founding Member

Sorta like surgical airstrikes. If you watch the videos

you see the masonry or concrete structures standing and the rest reduced to a cosmic game of Pick-Up-Sticks. Somwhow one would think that this would ring a bell in peoples heads that a better way of building may be advisable. But then, the timber industry is a big contributor to the Republican Party.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:22 AM   #14
IceWorm
Registered Member

Looks like you hit all the tourist high spots. Before they bulldoze it you should check out the Cabildo, Jazz fest, N.O. Museum of Art, Sanger Theater, Brenans, Jackson Square, and on and on and.........
Old 09-06-2005, 04:15 AM   #15
jeffs
Founding Member

Default Re: Confederate motorcycles, still alive?

Go back to what?

Since I'm assuming my tax dollars are going to buy them a new place to live, I vote that it not be in a flood plane - and most definitely NOT below sealevel.

jeffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:30 AM   #16
edward44
Founding Member

Thanks, but I may be too late...
Old 09-06-2005, 06:46 AM   #17
ccmun
Founding Member

I understand you point about NO economy, but are you also happy at the prospect of NO evolving into a more racially balanced city? Since the city and state did a poor job of providing a future for the Black population, Black and poor are not welcome back to NO ? So lets kill two birds--balance things out and welcome back the great White middle classs, and get rid of those poor blacks, so Jesse and the Dems won't have a base come election time ?
ccmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 09:43 AM   #18
tomk2
Founding Member

New Orleans MUST be rebuilt, it's the best party town on earth, bar none.

NO memory #1...

3 am at Cafe du Mond, drunk on my arse eating begnets and drinking chickory coffee under a waxing moon

NO memory #2...

playing through the dry heaves and winning an MVP award at the Mardi Gras rugby tournament the next day
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:23 AM   #19
IceWorm
Registered Member

I could care less if the city is racially balanced. I was simply pointing out that the city may be embarrassed if it's low income citizens fare better in other cities. The governor of La. and mayor of N.O. have made it clear everyone who has left is welcome back. I join with them in welcoming home anyone who has been relocated. My question is will they want to come back. I feel like if low income N.O citizens end up faring better in other parts of the country they may want to stay put and reap the economic benefit of their good fortune. I doubt the politicians who depend on their votes in south Louisiana will be as open minded about their loss. Now, this takes us full circle back to why Jessie Jackson and Cleo Fields are so upset that N.O. residents are being relocated outside the state. They know people can't return for 4 to 6 months, a period of time long enough for individuals to become established in their new homes. I saw an interview the other day with the governor of Massachusetts. He was asked how many N.O. residents have been relocated there. His reply was 4 thousand. He was asked how long they can stay. His reply was, as long as they want. Then he said they are in the process of setting up housing for them and find jobs for every single new resident. Hmmmm, se my point?
Old 09-06-2005, 11:08 AM   #20
HowardtheDuc
Registered Member

Well written and well thought out. You must be a Ducati rider.
HowardtheDuc is offline   Reply With Quote