Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-30-2005, 09:58 AM   #1
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Default Re: Lane Splitting now legal in Texas

Let's hope Texas cagers aren't like Georgia cagers and move over on lane splitters just for sh!ts and giggles.

I've had more a-holes cut over on me just to stop me even when they can't go anywhere, it gives you warm fuzzy feeling and faith in mankind don't it?
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-30-2005, 10:33 AM   #2
K1200LTE
Registered Member

HB1522 died in committee. It was not even voted on, let alone passed.
K1200LTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 10:35 AM   #3
Kevin_Williams
Registered Member

Dallas is not a Motorcycle friendly city simply due to the fact that you get this same kind of treatment. Not but 2 months ago I was boxed front and back and then found myself sharing the lane with an a-hole at 60mph. We spent the next few seconds exchanging glances, waves and a wry smile. I knocked on his window to signal him to move back over into the other lane, then I took his driver-side mirror off with my fist. He moved over at the very last second just as I was about to be forced off onto the debris littered shoulder. Called the cops as soon as I got to work. Lane splitting here will see it's fair share of violators on both sides of the handlebars.
Kevin_Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 10:47 AM   #4
ymsamhi
Registered Member

Lane splitting is not legal in Georgia, they might be moving over on you because you are breaking the law and they dont expect you to be there. If a everyone is stopped in traffic and someone tries to cut around on the emergency lane they will do the same because thats breaking the law.
ymsamhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 10:48 AM   #5
Tigercub
Founding Member

They rarely do it here in Caleefornia. Go around them on the other side.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 11:05 AM   #6
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Dead in Committee

I remember this from a while back. As a Texas I even wrote to the sponsor and my reps. For all the good it did. It died in committee.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/cgi-b...SUFF IX=01522
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:10 PM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

It's just as well. Knowing Texans the next thing you'd expect to see is shytkickers in 1 Ton Dodge dualies trying to lanesplit.......
Old 08-30-2005, 05:57 PM   #8
rjn
Founding Member

just because your not suppose to lanesplit doesn't give cagers the right to enforce the law and try to run you off the road what trouble does it cause a cager with you splitting lanes
rjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:10 AM   #9
ymsamhi
Registered Member

Same trouble it causes anyone when they see someone breaking the law. Cagers have no right to enforce the law but at the same time if the motorcyclist is doing something illegal he has no right to get upset. I am sure some ahole cagers do try do run lanesplitters off the road, but here in Georgia cagers may see an open spot in the lane next to them and not expect a bike to be zooming down in between lanes(because its illegal) and hit a lane splitting biker. Now the cager has a death on his hands and the biker is dead. Nobody wins.

The worst trouble it causes is everyone knows its illegal and cagers then form another great opinion of the reckless biker who does not care about the laws.
ymsamhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:44 AM   #10
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

That's when I kick their rear view mirrors off.

Watch out for Volvos though, the side view mirrors on older ones seem to be connected directly to the frame. You have to use a kind of twisting motion with your boot, or you get pushed right off the back of the bike.