Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-29-2005, 10:24 AM   #51
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Scooters: The Perfect Second Car?

I'd really like to be able to justify buying a scooter, but I can't. My Bandit 600 gets 45-50 mpg, and with its Givi saddlebags has scooter-level cargo capacity, so it's an ideal commuter. For short trips around town, I ride my a bicycle. There's nothing a scooter could do that my motorcycle and bicycle can't.

Then there's the fact that a Ninja 250 gets 70mpg, costs only $3000, and has far superior performance to a scoot.

Now, if I lived in a big city, or had a stop-n-go commute where an automatic would be superior, it would be a different story.

That's why social planning is so often a miserable failure. This is a big country with unbelievable social and environmental variety - there's no way that government incentives or disincentives can account for that as well as the free market can.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2005, 10:26 AM   #52
schizuki
Founding Member

Hey, weren't we all supposed to be riding Dean Barnum's, er, Kamen's Segways by now?

"Segway - the versatility of a Huffy for the price of a Honda."

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:00 AM   #53
bilbo
Registered Member

I suppose it depends where you live. Where I live, in Boston, in most cases people driving big SUVs don't appear to need them. You can tell by how clean the truck is that it's never been off-road, and probably never will be. And most of the time there are one or two people in the truck. Many times it's older couples as well, who probably don't have any kids to haul around anymore. If you just need a family vehicle that handles the winter snow well, you can get something like a Subaru 4WD station wagon, which will still get around 26 mpg. Hardly anyone around here, or in any urban area really, actually needs a huge 15 mpg SUV or truck.
bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:03 AM   #54
kdurrell
Founding Member

Whoa, what about all the "farmers" in Beantown? You can't forget about the "farmers", you know, all 7 of them.
kdurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:17 AM   #55
Neal
Founding Member

Did it in the bac k seat of a 1965 Simca 1500...bout the same size of a Fiat600.Youth is wonderful
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:59 AM   #56
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

That's what mine look like. Springer forks and all. I'll send you a pic if you want. I've built three so far.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:00 PM   #57
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

My Huffy goes 45 mph.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:03 PM   #58
nesbit
Founding Member

Scoot's are fine, but we need to impress upon this group that they are part of the "motorcycling" fraternity and treat them accordingly. Why? Because the politicos will attempt to co-opt them into seeing us as the enemy (too fast, too heavy,to noisy, too threatening, and not as energy efficient as scooters) - all great reasons to tax us into non-existence, while making points with their non-riding constituency for protecting them from us. Let's not hand our darling legislators an opportunity to divide and conquer. In unity is - - - - - - - - !
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:32 PM   #59
maladg
Registered Member

Browning BAR has a good point in the primary post...a postive article. What next: dog & cats together? The Kook making sense?

Overall I feel both pessimistic the converse. I doubt even $3.50/gal will send hordes to 2 wheels. But I think that modern scooters will bring new blood into the fold.

And as Larry Kudlow, Don Luskin and others have pointed out: todays high gas prices equals tomorrows greatly enhanced gas supplies...at lower prices.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:00 PM   #60
Fenton
Founding Member

I hope kook is ok. When I saw the jump to 59 posts, I thought, oh crap, W mush have ridden a scooter into a flock of spotted owls.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote