Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Scooters: The Perfect Second Car? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2997)

obandoj 08-28-2005 03:50 PM

Re: Scooters: The Perfect Second Car?

Did you ever hear of four stroke technology?

obandoj 08-28-2005 04:03 PM

I just picked up a Suzuki GN125 street bike for $250, it cost about $150 to fix a few things, and now I have the perfect errand-commuter bike, it is much more road worthy than a scooter, it has a disc brake up front, 5 speed tranny, full DOT equipment, and if I push it, it will do 65 MPH, it is comfortable and quiet and last but not least, it gets 65 MPG. Needless to say, my trucks and other bikes have been collecting dust lately.

I think we should all get on the band wagon and spoil the party for the Oil Barons, there is a reason for the high prices, the bastards are getting rich!

Fenton 08-28-2005 05:00 PM

Re: Reality 101

Oh, sorry, I didn't understand. In that case, screw that!

sarnali 08-28-2005 08:32 PM

Cool, Sounds like a total kick in the ass! When I was in Italy in the 70's they were everywhere you looked. I've never ridden one but they look like fun

caderider 08-29-2005 02:20 AM

Even during the gas crunches, the oil companies were raking it in.

boru4761 08-29-2005 02:55 AM

is your alias supposed to be read puddle pirate or poodle pirate? On second thought, I am not so sure I want to know...

TEXASEVE 08-29-2005 03:31 AM

MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE TWO APRILLIA 150s AND THEY ARE A BLAST. WE ALSO OWN SEVERAL "REAL" BIKES. THE HUSBAND ACTUALLY WALKED AWAY EMBARRASSED WHEN I SHOWED INTEREST IN A SCOOTER AT A DEALERSHIP ONE DAY. NOW IT IS HIS FAVORITE VEHICLE. MPG IS AMAZING ON THESE THINGS. AS SOON AS IT COOLS DOWN (IN TEXAS) WE'LL BE RIDING THEM TO WORK. WE ARE NOW CONSIDERING THE NEW 250s or a 500. APRILLIAS LOOK MOST LIKE A MOTORCYLE, ESPECIALLY WITH ALL THE BAGS ON. CHECK THEM OUT. AS WITH ANY BIKE DEFENSIVE DRIVING IS THE KEY TO SURVIVAL.

SRMark 08-29-2005 04:42 AM

My God, there is a Mrs. Allcaps!

HarryMyhre 08-29-2005 05:00 AM

scooters are cool! But if you're thinking to get one; make sure you know the capabilities of the model you're considering. (IMO) american roads demand plenty of speed - especially in the west where I live. Can't vouch for the rest of the country. If you get a scoot that can only go 50 mph full throttle you'll be limiting yourself to city streets only... I Owned a 150cc model for a few years and eventually found it just didn't have enough oomph for southern california streets.

seruzawa 08-29-2005 06:24 AM

And if the USA was the size of a postage stamp like most European nations it might work. However, it won't.