Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-28-2005, 06:44 AM   #21
sliphorn
Registered Member

Default Re: Scooters: The Perfect Second Car?

A lot of those cheap scooters are just that; CHEAP. As in crap. If you want a quality twist 'n' go scoot you gotta stay with the Italian or Japanese stuff, or the one Taiwanese-Kymco.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2005, 07:07 AM   #22
neandorman
Founding Member

Isn't Kymco Chinese? (Sorry, I had to...)
neandorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:32 AM   #23
sarnali
Founding Member

A scooter would work if you lived and worked or went to school in the city. In my situation, live in the sticks, work in the city I'd rather have a full sized bike.

Those old Vespa's are pretty cool looking, there's a shop in Seattle that restores and sells them.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:01 AM   #24
sliphorn
Registered Member

Sarnali, if you've never ridden an old geared Vespa or Lambretta, I suggest trying to get a ride on one. They're a total blast, especially one that has been kitted. Mine wheelies in the first three gears. Absolute madness I tell you. Mine: 177 Pinasco kit, case matched, windows opened for optimum flow, polished to the extreme. Worb5 crank for reed valve motors, Boysen dual stage glass fiber reeds, Vortex V28 carb, and a JL right exit expansion chamber that's been HPC coated. Top speed of 70mph, but what really makes it fun is the combination of incredibly quick and nimble handling along with its ability to get to 50mph in a couple of heartbeats.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:05 AM   #25
drthompson65
Founding Member

As much as I love two wheels I simply hope scooters don't get like they are in Asia. What do I mean? I lived in Taiwan to two years. Scooters are EVERYPLACE to the point you can hardly walk down the street! Also the polution from that many scooters.. some days I could hardly breath..
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:26 AM   #26
jeffie
Founding Member

Default pollute worse than SUVs

Great - just what we need - pollution belching two strokes (little displacement scooters I mean)

these things - especially the hopped up ones - make an H2 look green.
jeffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:32 AM   #27
sliphorn
Registered Member

Default Re: pollute worse than SUVs

I don't think you'll need to worry much about 2T pollution from scooters cuz slowly but surely they are being replaced by 4T motors. The little 50cc reed valve jobs aint too bad as long as, like you say, folks don't hop 'em up. Mine is hopped up to the max and pollutes somethin' awful. Such is life. Shi+ty attitude I know.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:34 AM   #28
sliphorn
Registered Member

Neandor-you-are-the-man.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:34 PM   #29
scruss65
Registered Member

I live in Northern California and work in the college town of Berkeley where they do have designated motorcycle parking in the downtown area for free. You can park all day with no worries. It is great. My commute to work is about 20 miles each way. I have both a 2002, 250CC Honda Reflex Scooter and a 2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750. Both are great commute (freeway) bikes with the Honda scoot getting over 60 mpg and the Guzzi getting over 50 mpg. When the weather is nice, having both bikes gives me a little variety and keeps me out the car. In Nor Cal, M/Cs can ride in the carpool lane and receive free bridge toll during commute hours. I love the Reflex because of its automatic transmission which is a dream during stop and go traffic (I don't lane split on my bikes) and it is is comfortable to ride and has a ton of storage space. Insurance wise, I just turned 40 and pay $370 per year for full coverage on both bikes that is as good as the coverage on my car. I pay almost $1400 to insure my 2003 car. It's a shame we don't see more folks riding scoots. And yes, I've been laughed at by a few Harley riders but also have gotten more thumbs up from folks who think the bike is pretty cool.
scruss65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 02:14 PM   #30
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: Reality 101

No no señor Fenton, you are missing the point. You don´t need 25k to buy a fuel efficient car. Couple of thousand would get you a totally reasonable used 1600 or 2000 cc that saves gas and takes you ten years down the road.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote