Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-27-2005, 01:34 PM   #11
BMob
Founding Member

Default Re: Scooters: The Perfect Second Car?

There are plenty of places to get larger scooters cheaper. Here are a few:

http://www.diamousa.com/
http://www.gmimotorsports.com/moped-scooter.shtml
http://www.umamerica.com/Templates/c...px?Page_ID=640
BMob is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2005, 03:39 PM   #12
tomk2
Founding Member

Default Re: Reality 101

true enough, ya gotta look at total cost of ownership per mile... initial cost, maintenance, fuel, insurance.

My late lamented Buell was very economical to ride but my Ducati isn't a lot cheaper to drive than my Honda Civic (it's a lot faster and more fun though).

tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 03:55 PM   #13
crevans
Founding Member

I've been extremely, blissfully happy with my Silverwing for all the above reasons, with the added benefit of being able to tour on it - spent 8 days and 6000 miles touring the southwest this summer on the thing. Get one, you won't regret it.
crevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 06:16 PM   #14
pudlepirate
Registered Member

the leathers and straight pipes are likely the culprit. if you drive a goldwing they wave because they think it's a car, but the scooter definately has a Disney quality to it
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 06:20 PM   #15
pudlepirate
Registered Member

Default Re: Reality 101

same here, with sport tires and premium gas my speed triple is a wash with my civic, the nissan pick up is another story on the other hand....
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 06:20 PM   #16
DonM
Founding Member

That Velox 150 with the convertible top at diamon looks great.
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 06:29 PM   #17
Fenton
Founding Member

Awesome! 700+ miles a day average on a silverwing. Most people can't do than on a new RT.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 07:18 PM   #18
ofreen
Registered Member

You were commuting on the wrong kind of bike. My 75 CB750F still gets 40+ mpg and weather protection is good with the Windjammer in the winter. In the summer, I never feel heat from the engine even in 100+ temperatures. No hunching over, and tires are comparatively cheap and last 15,000+ miles. It may wear out someday, but so far is not giving any sign of it.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 03:27 AM   #19
clively
Founding Member

try the Aprilia Mojito 50cc. You can modify the pipe & de-restrict it & it'll be perfect. It looks like an old Vespa only prettier.
clively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 05:49 AM   #20
theDuke
Founding Member

I could say the same thing about small to mid-sized motorcycles. They do require a bit more skill to ride than an automatic-trans scooter, but my W650 gets >50mpg and is light and easy to handle. I do have to admit to envy over enclosed waterproof storage on scooters, though.

Some of the problems I see about commuting on bikes aren't just related to inclement weather and perceived safey. Rather, in most cities in the U.S. there just aren't any big benefits. The smaller size and fuel economy are great as an individual, but lawmakers rarely seem to appreciate the reduced congestion and fuel efficiency. I think there are some really inexpensive things that our legislators can do to incent the use of these alternative forms of transportation:

Parking - how about free parking in city lots for bikes? Give up 2 or 3 regular spots and paint smaller lines and let motorcycles and scooters park at no cost. I've actually lived in some cities that enforced a one-vehicle per parking spot rule. So, a single motorcycle had to take up an entire car spot and pay the same hourly rate. Just downright stupid. How farfetched is this? San Jose, CA, recently passed an law allowing free parking in city lots for hybrid-electric cars. Great, except the same rules don't apply to bikes and scooters that get even better fuel economy AND take up less space. Seems like a small sacrifice to the city that would encourage even more alternative transportation choices than overhyped hybrids.

In Europe I usually see scooters jammed into every conceivable nook and cranny like the sidewalks, doorways, etc. How about just not enforcing parking laws for scooters and motorcycles or actually legally excluding them?

I have to applaud my employer. Our parking lots are overflowing with cars and we often have parking shortages. However, they recently repaved and repainted the lots and added smaller "motorcycle only" spots in the most desireable areas close to the building entrances. Sweet for me and the two or three others who often ride their bikes to work.

I live in Northern Californa so a bike is truly a viable means of transportation here except for the a couple of months of monsoon rains. And then there are still a lot of diehard riders who continue to commute by bike. Personally, I'm not particularly concerned about getting wet, but people around here spin and crash in the wet as if it were ice and snow so I'd rather have a bit of protection around me when the weather turns nasty. Last year I watched a guy spin out and cream the car in front of me at a stoplight. I was on my bike and was really glad I decided not to lane-split to the front of that line that morning. Now that I think of it, legalizing lane-splitting in other states would also seem to be a low-cost/no-cost benefit for bikes and scooters that would encourage their use.

I'm glad to see bikes and scooters entering discussions about alternative transportation.
theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote