Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-26-2005, 07:28 AM   #1
SuperSquid
Registered Member

Default Re: Track Day, Discovery Channel and more of the same...

First Post Byotches! HA!
SuperSquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2005, 08:30 AM   #2
Tigercub
Founding Member

I'll put it on my calender for October!

However, I don't think track days are any kind of answer for the carnage that occurs on mountain roads. It's all about riding within your limits. And riding up to Palomar is particularly tricky because of the steep switch-backs combined with straights long-enough to get way over your head in the approaching corner.

The skills part that sends riders off the road is still about riding within your limits. The real carnage is caused by trying to pass when you don't really know if the road is clear up ahead. I've seen a lot of dumb maneuvers over the last 30 years at Mt. Palomar, the Ortega highway, up to the Rock Store, the Sierras and Marin County. The problems are passing when the road is not clear and riding over your limits. Then, of course, there's just bad luck.

A useful track day would include having volunteer car drivers drive around the track in the opposite direction on the other side of the track.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:56 AM   #3
NO1ZX6R
Registered Member

a track day would be more valuable if you had to dodge a car? huh?

I agree with your comments about the reasons people lay it down on the street but the comment about track days is simply asinine.

IMO - track days can be extremely beneficial towards improving bike control in a controlled environment.
NO1ZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:16 AM   #4
pdad13
Founding Member

Huh? The Discovery Channel? You sure you didn't miss the Statue of Liberty bike at tech inspection?

They showed up without the Teutels and Billy Lane in tow?

Actually, that would make some interesting TV: Custom Chopper track day.

The Rules: 100-inch wheelbases. 750lbs. minimum. Rear brake only. Beer.

(Bonus points: Suicide clutch, jockey shift, ***** riding in back.)

Could it be that Discovery Channel is even starting to whiff the foul stench of overexposure? Could this spell the beginning of the end of the custom builder plague? Will Mikey Teutel abandon ship and get his own daytime talk show? Will Billy Lane finally realize that he's starting to look like a bloated racoon carcass and put on a shirt, fer cris sake? Will Mitch Bergeron please go back to the godforsaken wasteland he came from (Canada)?
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:18 AM   #5
Captain_1
Founding Member

Professional instruction and track days have taught me respect for speed and how stupid it is to "race" in an uncontrolled environment. Public roads are not a personal road course. However, I wish there were more tracks for us all to play.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:23 AM   #6
Captain_1
Founding Member

You didn't mention Jesse James. The Disco Channel made him a made man. He did admit to me recently that it was more fun in the old days when he didn't need makeup to go to work.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:24 AM   #7
Tigercub
Founding Member

Sorry you missed the humor.

Improving track skills would allow you to go faster on the street for the same risk level. But, you still have to ride within your limits. Also, consider that one of the reasons you get better on the track is because you practice going around the same corner, so you know what to expect and how to approach it. You can do the same thing on the street. You just can't predict what traffic will do.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:29 AM   #8
Tigercub
Founding Member

There may be an infinite number of ways to make a cool little bauble, but a chopper is still a chopper.

I like your idea. Choppers on a dirt track with dirt flying would be another variation on the theme. How about a TT track? Enduro?
Old 08-26-2005, 07:30 PM   #9
pplassm
Founding Member

It's been done already. Read "Monkey Butt" by Rick Sieman.

"I like your idea. Choppers on a dirt track with dirt flying would be another variation on the theme. How about a TT track? Enduro?"

Old 08-26-2005, 07:37 PM   #10
kanani
Registered Member

some of us got it
kanani is offline   Reply With Quote