Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-26-2005, 04:32 AM   #81
teapotdome
Registered Member

Default Re: So What Have You Done To Get Motorcycles More TV and Other Coverage. Not Much

So how did you approach the local media? Do you know someone at the TV station? Or someone at the newspaper?

What was your "hook?" It'd be great to do the same here in Atlanta, where the weather is more conducive to year-round riding, the traffic sucks big-time, and every other vehicle on the road is a Titanavigatoverlander LR3. Sport.

Any secrets to share? Tips?
teapotdome is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2005, 05:07 AM   #82
paul_from_Minnesota
Registered Member

Default Re: Why are 2 wheels not in the news?

I think many cagers view cycles as a toy. Much like a jet ski, a ski boat, on and on...

I view mine as a fun mode of transportation. I often ride my Vmax in a spirited (not that hard) fashion and get around 34 mpg. Steady cruise I can manage 41. My brother has gotten 30-36 out of his 200 hp Chevy Impala! Do I ride only for mileage? Of course not. I ride because I have to get from here to there and I choose to do it connected to the world and saddled up on fun. The gas savings are just a great benefit for again leaving my full size conversion van in the driveway!

My wife and I just rode about 550 miles last weekend for an overnighter on the Lake Superior shore. Great time. She got over 50mpg out of her GL500. But add the two bikes together and we would have used slightly less gas with her Chrysler 300M.

It's for the ride! That might be what needs to get in the news.

Just heard a story from a neighbor. Her son and daughter in-law drive 140 miles each, to get to work and back each day. Gas was starting to hurt a lot! He drives a full sized Dodge Ram and she, a Durango. In classic American fashion, they bought another house a few miles from their work so that during the week, they could be just 4 miles away from work. They figure the gas savings will about pay for the house. Can't get cheaper transportation? Gotta keep the guzzler? Nothing better to spend your money on? At the same time I think there is a strange thought process here, I find myself applauding the fact that they now have a country place and a city place. Whoops! Now I am the decadent American.....not.

paul from Minnesota
Old 08-26-2005, 05:19 AM   #83
pdad13
Founding Member

Hey, the professional rapists and baby-smashers-into-wall-ers would be employed again! Yipee!
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 05:19 AM   #84
Flickmeister
Registered Member

It sure works in Europe doesn't it? I don't think the average American is ready to brave the elements that is required to commute to work. Even as a die-hard enthusiast, when I commuted to work for four months, with all of the rain that happens in Florida, I couldn't wait to get my car back and return the bike to my favorite toy status. But just think, with a proper education on lane-splitting and having it legal throughout the country, how much quicker we'd get to work while all those damn SUV owners are sitting and baking in their own fumes. Hmmm.....
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 05:22 AM   #85
teknoman
Registered Member

BOY!!1, I sure opened a can of whoopass,but My own final thoughts on this[for now] .I was pleasently suprised at how many responses this generated and all of the had something worhwhile to say!.No baiting or rants etc.So as a wizzened old geezer of 54 yrs ,It signals to me,that there is something good in all this, and that is get the word out! I was not just talking about daily commute, but just riding you know ?..Someone looks at your bike or scooter stop and talk to them!May be they will at least think about a nice sunday ride or such. Hell, scooterize them.A friend of mine who has been riding bikes since the 70,s [taught by his dad] came over to my house with his honda silverwing.Tells me he cannot get people and esp harley folks to stop gawking and asking about it and then telling him they are going to get one. He,ll stop and talk to anyone.Besides he loves it when he goes to 7/11 ,gives the lady 10 bucks, and gets five bucks back!!And he says women love to chat,and pose and offer ,well nevermind for a ride on his scooter ,and he aint no denzel washington,believe me.But I believe that while we old folks are busy griping etc. ,the young ones will see bikes or scooters as an expression of mobility and freedom.Tell you what I have lived in las vegas for the past 15 yrs ,and bar none ,folks we have the most lunatic, crazy, insane drivers in the usa.Why? because everyone comes from everywhere else.They bring with them their bad driving habits etc,That,s not even including the tourists.We have had 17,000 accidents since january!!,But you know what ,I see more bikes and scooters on the roads than I ever have before.and our bike crashes are far and few.I think it,s because while people are looking at their gas gauges ,they see someone pull up on a bike or scooter and us being westerners[don,t hate me],they long for the good old days when you could get across town quick.They tell me ,back in the 80,s people could ride their horses around.Anyway ,I am willing to bet dimes to donuts,that scooters will become such a big deal that we will see at least a small paradigm shift. WHEW! I am done!!peace out.
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 05:59 AM   #86
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Yeah, braving the elements in Florida must be rough. I don't know how you guys do it down there.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:54 AM   #87
jawzx
Registered Member

Default Re: 2 wheel economy...How about 4 wheel economy?

Some other's have already noted that "new" technology (like fuel injection) hasn't paid the dividends they hoped.

Fancy direct injection systems and crazy-powerfull engine management computers are just plain NOT used to improve economy, but to improve power. My 1992 Alfa Romeo 164-s can be stretched out to about 32 mpg on the highway with judicious use of fifth gear and throttle control, but is simultaniously capable of a measured (not indicated) top speed just shy of 160mph. 3 liter 12-valve, SOHC V6, Fuel injected.

My daily mixed town/highway comute yeilds about 26-7 MPG. This is a 13 year-old 3800Lb car with all the luxury amenitys, and yet a new Mazda 3 with a 2.4 liter 4, and a good 600lb weight advantage only manages slighty better economy, slightly slower acceleration, and no where near the top speed... Why? because instead of using technology to wring economy for the 2.4 liter four, they used it to wring power. Same's true of just about every where. 2.0 liter four cyclinder engines these days are screaming out 150, 160 HP. My Alfa's V6 is rated 215, while a new honda accord V6 is rated 245, gets slightly worse economy and due to the auto-tranny isn't any faster off the line.

Even in Japan they are using turbos with variable-valve-timing and variable-intake-geometry to pump 65 Hp and 70 lb/ft of tourque out of 600cc "C" class cars, which despite falling into a super-cheap insurance bracket, only got about 30-35 MPG. Bikes have serious weight advantages vs. cars, and so get a little better economy, but it's the same story in the two-wheeled world...

AS long as manufacturers continue to tune for power vs economy, and the public keeps thinking any vehicle with an 8+ second 0-60 time is "too slow", or even "unsafe" we'll never get beyond this...

(rant written between phone calls at work, I apologize for it's disjointed nature)
Old 08-26-2005, 08:24 AM   #88
lwatcdr
Founding Member

Default Re: Because motorcycle mileage isn't that great.

And a VW Polo TDI gets combined city/interstate of 60mpg. I wonder how long before VW starts to import them here.

I have heard that Buells get good mileage. I did mention the Blast in the list. R1s and GSXRs seem to be in the low 30's at best.

lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:34 AM   #89
tsrzad
Registered Member

They're employed right now...
Old 08-26-2005, 08:40 AM   #90
tsrzad
Registered Member

Dang ol' Libertarians...Personal Responsibility? What a concept...