Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-25-2005, 06:43 PM   #71
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Why are 2 wheels not in the news?

I see that too, massive discounts for large SUV's and the lots are still full of them. The local Ford dealer has a total of $9k in discounts on new Explorers just for walking in the door. More cars on the road as well, still one person driving about 75% of them, but it beats sitting in an endless line of barges on the freeway.

A lot more bikes in the parking lots at work too, I think the fair weather riders are figuring out they can ride the Road Toad more than 25 miles every Sunday and leave the Suburban at home. Don't know how that'll pan out when the temps get down in the 40's and 50's with showers. I guess it depends on whether the gas price rises faster than the temperature drops
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2005, 07:57 PM   #72
dylanmo
Founding Member

Twenty years from now, while you're in a food rations line, you'll be showing your grandkids a faded plastic card with your photo on it and explaining how it allowed you to drive your own car.

Wow. Is there a more forceful adjective than garage-sized hysteric sopping *****? I'm just wondering, you know, for science's sake.
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 08:00 PM   #73
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Correction!

You haven't been able to buy a NEW diesel in CA for 3 years...used iss OK, ja?

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 08:00 PM   #74
dylanmo
Founding Member

I was filtered-ed!
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 08:06 PM   #75
yoavy11
Founding Member

Sounds like you need a Scion XB or a Honda Element.
yoavy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 09:22 PM   #76
ofreen
Registered Member

Motorcycling is one of those things that people for the most part come to on their own. Increased media promotion or big advertising pushes by the motorcycle manufacturers will never have much effect on getting otherwise uninterested people involved in motorcycles. For most people, you are either drawn to motorcycles, or you are not. It is the same with lots of things - kayaks, mountain climbing, trap shooting, flying, even skiing. Even within the subset of those that are drawn to motorcyles, there is a wide variation in the level of interest and commitment. The manufacturers could spend millions on primetime TV ads touting motorcycles, whether for their economy of operation or just because they are fun, and the results would be miniscule. They obviously know this already.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:21 AM   #77
SRMark
Founding Member

Too much coffee today Davey boy? My Matrix does all that stuff you mention above, damn near as good as my Land Cruiser, at 3 times the gas mileage and one third the price. Buy what you like butt wipe. My point was, don't try to promote bikes as a utilitarian response to gas prices.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:33 AM   #78
SRMark
Founding Member

Precisely. There are enough fuel-efficient cars to choose from out there without confusing the issue with motorcycles. Sure, bikes get great fuel economy but their reason-for-being goes beyond the shallowness of fuel savings and I doubt that an ad campaign touting those benefits will do much to increase the use of motorcycles by the "responsible" motoring public. The marketing departments of motorcycle manufacturing concerns will do well to avoid the fuel efficiency campaigns. I believe those are the main reasons why we have heard little about this issue in the news. The public doesn't want to hear about us being good citizens and the manufacturers don't want to go down that slippery slope.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:40 AM   #79
christian_gates
Founding Member

Effing ay! That's a great way to put it. That's why I don't like fanatasy football or television.

christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:42 AM   #80
Stonedog
Founding Member

I haven't heard it yet, but the local news radio station (WSB/AM750 here in Atlanta) has a piece on scooters this morning.

From the sounds their early descriptions of the piece they're saying scooters are affordable, get great mileage and in some cases don't need to be registered.

Did any fellow Hotlantans get to hear it?

Jon