Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-25-2005, 12:09 PM   #51
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Why are 2 wheels not in the news?

I did see a guy one time with his phone jammed in btween the strap on his half helmet and his ear.

Did I point out he looked like a total dork?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2005, 12:38 PM   #52
seruzawa
The Toad

Yes, but was he putting on makeup too?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:48 PM   #53
giuliom
Registered Member

I would like to know who are all these "safety nazis" and "do-gooders" who want to take away our right to ride. If all they do is tell me to wear a helmet, I don't mind. In Europe, where the general government trend is much more intrusive and left-leaning than here (they even have universal health insurance, those commies, thus taking away our freedom to be turned away by an ER), nobody ever questions bike riding: why is that? There is absolutely zero interest over there in trying to eliminate bikes. There are some restrictions in place, like a graduated license, which I think is a great idea. Back when i was a kid I got a 50cc bike at 15 (*could have at 14, but my mom would not buy right away), I rode 125cc at 16, and took it from there. They do avoid having someone take a MSF course on Saturday and riding off with a GSXR1000 on Monday, but other than that they encourage riding. What would make anyone think that this is a political (i.e. conservative vs. liberal) issue? I think that shows a knee-jerk, truly moronic (not MOronic) way of looking at things. Lovers of bikes come from all different political persuasions. It's up to us to educate, though: if all the public sees is the guy with straight pipes, waking up everyone in a two-mile range when he comes home from the bar, or the guy (saw him on the 405), pulling wheelies at 75mph while threading through traffic, then someone will react. IN Europe, part of the reason why there is so little opposition is that so many people ride: a motorcyclist can be your neighbor, the nurse, the doctor, the lawyer, the truck driver, the florist, etc... that you meet every day.
giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:49 PM   #54
Fenton
Founding Member

Good point. I'm ordering a blue tooth, sneaky leaker and I can drink protein shakes w/ a straw. I only wear make-up after hours so that won't affect me.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:26 PM   #55
schizuki
Founding Member

"Any chance we can put back Sadam Husein? He had the country under control"

Uh, that's one way of putting it.

Not sure the kids in the children's prison would endorse your idea, though.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:37 PM   #56
schizuki
Founding Member

"Any chance we can put back Sadam Husein? He had the country under control"

Uh, that's one way of putting it.

Not sure the kids in the children's prison would endorse your idea, though.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:30 PM   #57
rapier
Founding Member

Riding in most US urban areas is stress inducing, at best, especially during commute times. Throw in construction delays and the chance of being stuck motionless in the hot sun breathing exhaust and you have a nightmare.

That comment applies to urban interstates and regular surface streets, which offer different problems but problems never the less. As to the latter, there is no way US cities can offer Eruopean thing to scooter/light bike riders. It's hopeless. For me even the idea of a scooter in an urban area induces clentching of the.....

I commute often 45 miles each way in the Grand Rapids MI area. A breeze compared to most urban areas particularly on the freeways and it is still 'work' to ride, and I have 35 years and 200K miles of experience. Little wonder I see so few other commuters.

When I think of the small town I grew up in, a Chicago far exurb, I can see the tree lined streets and slow traffic and Honda 90's and the like happily zipping about. While that type of thing exists in huge areas of the country it is available to only a tiny portion of the population.

rapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:38 PM   #58
BMob
Founding Member

You pose an intelligent question. Most people sit around and gripe about gas prices, but do nothing more about it. How about a solution? Two wheels. Any questions?
BMob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:38 PM   #59
DaveFla
Founding Member

Stupid cars- you mean like weird looking little s*&tbox Toyotas that won't even hold my overnight bag, the dog, his crate, and a couple of computers I've been working on for the folks back home?

(When I need a cage, it AIN'T only because of the weather!)

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:39 PM   #60
BMob
Founding Member

Why sit enclosed in a gas-guzzling box when one can interact with the environment on their way to work?
BMob is offline   Reply With Quote