Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-25-2005, 11:24 AM   #41
Gordy
Registered Member

Default Re: Why are 2 wheels not in the news?

Maybe the guy has 6 kids but doesn't take them to work?
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2005, 11:25 AM   #42
maladg
Registered Member

Bingo! Prices rise and suddenly (suddenly as over several years) new supplies appear. Applies to any commodity. But Seruzawa sees and knows this.

The great PJ O'Rourke calls the middle east "God's Monkey House". What a pleasure it will be to phase them out of our considerations.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:28 AM   #43
maladg
Registered Member

This tubby ST11 owner tends to agree. Though on a cold, rainy night even an Echo looks mighty good compared to the "Fat Lady". And speaking of my beloved Fat Lady, she gets 52-53 mpg ridden normally, 48-50 2 up at a pace that keeps my boss from hitting me on the back and about 45 when I solo and spankin' the Fat Lady.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:36 AM   #44
seruzawa
The Toad

A lot of great ideas here, but the real reason that bikes will never take off with the general public is really very simple.

You can't use a cell phone, put on make up and eat an EggMcMuffin at the same time while driving to work in the A.M. on a bike.

At least, I don't think so.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:42 AM   #45
seruzawa
The Toad

It costs less money to actually build a refinery in Mexico than it costs to merely get the permits to build one in the USA.

Lotsa bureaucRATs to feed.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:56 AM   #46
Tigercub
Founding Member

A slight dip in consumption will drop oil prices. I predict a barrel of oil drops below $50 /bl in the next 3 months.

The Saudi's could ramp up production - don't let them fool you.

We lost 2bbl per day in Iraq. Any chance we can put back Sadam Husein? He had the country under control and would have come around to our way of thinking if we had a little patience.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:00 PM   #47
Tigercub
Founding Member

We're seeing a shift from buying big SUVs to smaller more fuel-efficient cars already. I think if gas prices rise above $3/gallon there will be a significant shift to buying and building more hybrids and smaller cars.

Bikes? - still recreational vehicles.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:37 PM   #48
Buzglyd
Founding Member

In California if you drive a hybrid you can use the HOV lanes even if you're alone. So, Bill gets to drive a 25 mpg Lexus and use the car pool lane!

You'll have to buy a used TDI because after 2007 diesel cars will be scarce in the US of A.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:44 PM   #49
Fenton
Founding Member

Yep, V6, 245hp. My wife gets 18-19 around town and I get 23+ on the frwy.(I usually drive on trips, guy thing)

I leased the toyota to replace my GMC sierra Z-71. I wanted to get another full size truck BUT the American auto makers have screwed the resale on their vehicles to a point the leases are $600+/mo. plus they would like 3k upfront. I can get better term buying the thing for F*#& sake.

Napa to Donner lake, 160 miles, uphill, Thule evolution pod and a bike rack (yuppy?) 23.6mpg. All my friend are hating the 12-15 in their Titans, Tahoes, Suburbans etc....
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:53 PM   #50
eddyline
Founding Member

We, as Americans(and possibly the rest of the world), have become spectators in our own lives.

Everything boils down to watching. The majority spends at least three hours a day at the glass teat, getting their McNews and sitcoms, and the odd dramatic series thrown in, all between the ads for feminine deodorant, razors and beer.

Riding a motorcycle forces you to participate in your life, and the world, on a much more personal level than talking about "The Apprentice" around the cubicles at work. It's not socialization, it's more important than that.

Motorcycling forces you to accept life, or to allow death, more than driving a car ever will. That's why the safety nazis want to stop it.
eddyline is offline   Reply With Quote