Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-25-2005, 09:51 AM   #31
maladg
Registered Member

Default Re: Why are 2 wheels not in the news?

Yeeeeehaaaa! Couldn't have said it better myself. One thing though: EPA requires more like 50+ blends, not 17.

And those wacky Hula Heads! They have capped gas prices as of 9/1/05 . When will the fun stop! Assuming this silliness continues, the 50th state won't have $4/gal gas but they WILL have gas lines...just like the 70's. Maybe the Gov of Hawaii will start wearing cardigan sweaters and start eatin grits - and swing oars at killer rabbits.

While we could all see some serious inconvenience in the short run, I'm not at all concerned with the long run. All that Club of Rome Malthusian nonsense has been wrong all along.

Now where did I put my Leisure Suit & "WIN" button?
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2005, 10:11 AM   #32
SaturnV
Registered Member

I mostly agree with your points (not sure about how much 'athletic prowess' is required to ride an average motorcycle and really, checking tire pressure takes all of like 20 seconds per tire), but this might be a chance to get motorcycles in the public eye as something more than a toy, or to encourage those who have bikes to ride them to work sometimes. This kind of publicity might also be useful for trying to get lane-splitting legalized or other similar stuff...

On the completely annecdotal level, I've noticed that the designated motorcycle parking areas at my work are filling up, and I've even started seeing (gasp) scooters parked here. And all without the helpful folks on the news telling us what we should do - perhaps there's something to letting people figure out what works best for them on their own?

-S5

SaturnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:15 AM   #33
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Re: Because motorcycle mileage isn't that great.

Hey!! My Buell XB12S gets 50+ mpg 55+ if you baby it. At least 46 if you ride like hell!!
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:31 AM   #34
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

You Sir read my post and summed it up in one sentence. Huzzah!
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:51 AM   #35
SRMark
Founding Member

I drive a Toyota Echo that gets about the same mileage as my ST1100. The Echo holds almost twice the gas as the ST, is easier to throw stuff into, is cooler in the heat, warmer in the cold and drier in the rain. Stop buying stupid cars.

Back in the '70s a few manufacturers touted the mileage of bikes and failed. The Kwaker 450 twin was one such unloved economy bike.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:53 AM   #36
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default What's wrong with a Ninja 250 as a commuter anyway

You might be surpised, I see a lot of 250 Ninja's around here (Central Arizona).

Good commuter bike, I had one for over a year.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:03 AM   #37
seruzawa
The Toad

Oil prices are gonna stabilize and come down. Know why? Because at the current price of oil it is now profitable to process oil shale. No way OPEC is gonna allow that to happen. We have enough shale in the US to tell the rest of the world to kiss our @sses for about 100 years.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:11 AM   #38
seruzawa
The Toad

V6 4Runner? When my wife and I go camping with her cousin and we fuel up after a couple of hundred miles my K2500 with the 350 small block gets about 16mpg and her cousin's V6 4Runner gets about 18mpg. Not impressive. Especially since I am hauling most of the gear and have about 75 more HP. The cousin is pretty disappointed in the 4Runner. Carrying gear on the roof isn't helping the aerodynamics, but 18 mpg really sucks for a supposed economy oriented light truck.

Old 08-25-2005, 11:12 AM   #39
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The ST1100 has much more in common with a Corvette performance-wise than an echo. I'm sure a 250 scooter would double the Echo's gas mileage and STILL go faster and quicker.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:21 AM   #40
seruzawa
The Toad

Heh heh. Auto week had a spot on the Accord hybrid a few weeks back. It gets less than 30mpg... but you get all the luxuries you'd want while pretending to protect the environment.

You can get all that luxury stuff and +40mpg in a VW TDI Passat. But I guess with a diesel Passat you are not as "environmentally conscious" as you are when you own a hybrid. Gotta hide your face while driving by the University. Can't drive your EV any more because it caught on fire. What's one to do and remain "hip"?

A friend's VW Golf TDI is getting almost 50mpg on the highway and 40+ around town. Why would I buy a hybrid? When our Subaru gets worn out I might just go for the TDI.

That's if the Subaru ever wears out.