Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-25-2005, 07:09 AM   #11
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: Why are 2 wheels not in the news?

i was composing a post in my head when I read this post...you hit what i wanted to say perfectly.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2005, 07:13 AM   #12
Neal
Founding Member

Sidecar? No,seriously i dont think anybodywould say that motorcycles are for everyone or that they could take the place of cars/trucks. However,the media could make a difference if instead of demonizimg motorcycles,they held them out as a possible alternative for some purposes/people.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:22 AM   #13
rjobe51
Founding Member

I must agree with HelterSkelter. Motorcycles (and scooters) are inherently more dangerous than automobiles, and exponentialy more dangerous to newbies who think it would be a good way to save on gas. I don't think I ever met a motorcyclist who rode solely because it was cheaper on gas than a car. But, for those who already ride, the extra mileage is a small bonus these days.
rjobe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:33 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

We must have gotten the talking points fax from GTPB headquarters at the same time.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:37 AM   #15
sv1000rider
Founding Member

Default Excellent link Jonniedee!

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...cooter%20Mania
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:56 AM   #16
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: But but but

Motorcycles are dangerous!! It would be irresponsible of the hallowed news media to spoonfeed anything but the most sanitized pablum to their viewers....Why my friends uncles cousins neighbors wives neice's boyfrind fell off a motorcycle a long time ago and almost got hurt!!!!!

It was one of those noisey Harleys.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 08:19 AM   #17
gas_pig
Founding Member

I agree, kids need running around. After I take my kids to day care 1.5 miles away in the morning, return home to grab a bike, and then ride the 13 miles to work. Sure keeps the miles off the car.

Maybe I should wash it though.

Fornutately I don't need a Ford Excursion to handle that duty as my Mazda Protege5 is more than up to the task. I was stuck behind an Excursion today on my ride to work. Number of occupants... 1.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:20 AM   #18
maladg
Registered Member

Just back from the Mickey Rourke/Jerry Lewis film festival and I did NOT get my talking points fax from GPTB HQ, so I'll have to wag it: I think there are significant large-scale cultural forces in play here.

You have the urban (and self styled urbane) folks who get a bit sniffy around anything so "mechanical" as a motorcycle. But it appears that more than just a few will do scooters. After all, they don't look so mechanical. If you ever have read Peter Egan's R&T stuff, you've seen him address this within the frame of old sports cars.

Then there is the fact that motorcycles are "complicated" and "risky". Well, there goes half of everybody if not more.

Reminds me of my other passion, high quality audio. If so many people love music, why don't more folks take quality reproduction of music more seriously? Why do ALL rack systems, boomboxes and the like sssuuuuuuccccckkkkk? (yes, I have a Pod and I use Apple Lossless only) Too mechanical, too complicated & audio buffs behave so as to exclude those not in the know (and, I think as do we motorcyclists do to an extent).

Finally, look around at your own family, friends and neighbors. Think about how many are mechanical donks. How many can't fix a leaky faucet? How many can't do a simple weekend warrior home improvement project or even give a cogent description of what they want to a handyman contractor?

Sorry, I think we'll always be a fairly small minority.

Hope I'm totally wrong.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 08:31 AM   #19
teknoman
Registered Member

Unfortunately,you are probably right on all accounts.Perhaps when gas hits four bucks a gallon,things will change.It would be nice to the major motorcycle companies,in the pursuit of wholesome ecology [re: self interest] to promote them .Hey Sean,you got clout with all these folks ,Would it hurt to ask them to get off their multi billion dollar butts, and put some commercials out?Oh yeah by the way gas hit 3 bucks a gallon in hawaii on monday
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 08:40 AM   #20
teknoman
Registered Member

I agree,but at least I think the big four and others should at least put out a public relations campaign[re:commercials] out.Those that think they can handle it and look at it as another alternative [the new buzzword] will dothe required learning curve.Hell,we have enough riding nuts now in cages who are irresponsible.And while I think that yes ,initially,we will get some nuts on two wheels,but darwinian mindset will eliminate them[adapt or die,friend] And as the politicians always pitch crap to the youth,you know they would just jump on the band wagon on this one,seeing as how alot of them are up for reelction next year...
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote