Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

View Poll Results: Should a fellow rider encourage another to ride again after going down?
Absolutely! Give it the ol' college try once more. 56 1.36%
No way Jose! Let the rider decide on their own. 76 1.85%
24 0.58%
199 4.84%
78 1.90%
141 3.43%
103 2.51%
2433 59.23%
376 9.15%
74 1.80%
56 1.36%
492 11.98%
Voters: 4108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2005, 04:10 AM   #61
Flickmeister
Registered Member

Default Re: Live and Let Live

I'm a nurse in an intensive care unit and I think the best approach is to listen if the patient wants to (and can) talk about it. If asked for an opinion, I would encourage the patient to heal completely (if he will) and, if he isn't sure whether he wants to ride again, take his time to make a decision that is right for him. I would also stress the importance of proper protective gear if he chooses to ride again. Again, this is all based on the fact the patient knows I'm a rider and ASKS for my input. Otherwise, I'd mind my own business.
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2005, 06:15 AM   #62
jfiore
Registered Member

I must say that I'm impressed by your response (and by Dr Sprocket as well), because you don't descend into the typical holier-than-thou attitude of most medical people.

When I crashed 20 years ago (my own fault, got over my head in a decreasing-radius turn), all I heard from everyone in the ER was how stupid I was to ride a motorcycle (death machine!) and that I deserved what I got. I swear that they took pleasure in pouring the Merthiolate onto the raw flesh, and scrubbing out the dirt!

It's good to know that there are still some compassionate people in your profession.

BTW, I agree with the MYOB policy - wait until asked.
jfiore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 06:30 AM   #63
AHR
Founding Member

A friend of mine was riding in a group of friends and family when his father was struck by an oncoming car. The father was then thrown into his sons bike causing him to crash as well. Abike behind them also went down to avoid hitting them. Both father and son lost a leg each. The son still rides... I don't think he should due to the extensive work that need to be done to his current bike to make it fit him and the fact that i can't imagine trying to ever control it like that in a panic situation. He has lost a lot of balance due to his injuries. He has two children young enough to have to depend on him for the next 12 years at least.....I will never tell him I don't think he should ride anymore... I would never take that away from him.
AHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:33 AM   #64
Tigercub
Founding Member

Cortisone shot?

I had a series of those in my shoulder once. I remember they said, "you probably just need a cortisone shot and your shoulder will feel much better"

They left the part out where they need the 2" needle to pump the cortisone into the joint - in several places. Stinking bastards!!
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:44 AM   #65
Tigercub
Founding Member

Don't beat yourself up on this one. At least you were there for your son and that counts for a lot! Plaintiff #2 will have to accept the nature of things, male.

Here's my story. There were two things I wanted badly when I was 12 and my parents wouldn't let me have them - a gun and a minibike. The two things I got as soon as I was independent enough to have them? Guns and motorcycles. So far, I've lost interest in the former and am careful with the latter. But, I have always maintained that if my parents had let me have those two things, I wouldn't have gotten them later.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 02:44 AM   #66
SRMark
Founding Member

Sorry for the delay in responding. Yup! And it hasn't done me any good yet.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote