Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

View Poll Results: Should a fellow rider encourage another to ride again after going down?
Absolutely! Give it the ol' college try once more. 56 1.36%
No way Jose! Let the rider decide on their own. 76 1.85%
24 0.58%
199 4.84%
78 1.90%
141 3.43%
103 2.51%
2433 59.23%
376 9.15%
74 1.80%
56 1.36%
492 11.98%
Voters: 4108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2005, 09:33 AM   #51
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Live and Let Live

It ain't the snow or the cold, it's the ice every morning.

Get a snowmobile. It ain't as fun as a bike, but it's still a fun way to burn injector oil.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2005, 09:59 AM   #52
SRMark
Founding Member

I just saw my orthopedic surgeon for a shoulder impingement. I was scared to death that he was gonna send me for an MRI. When he brought out the two-inch long needle to stick in my shoulder I was relieved. I am totally fuked up.

I used to go cave exploring when I was a kid and even got stuck in a cave passage once. No problem. One head-first trip through the MRI tube and I was claustrophobic for life.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:52 PM   #53
travisyoung
Founding Member

Default Re: Hmmmm....

just don't ride like your brother....
travisyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:15 PM   #54
Redfury
Founding Member

I have a real life question along this line. As a gesture to my wife, I took the motorcycle safety course with her and my 18 year old son. I have ridden for 40 years but figured I would learn some things that couldn't hurt me. I started riding before such courses existed and had taken Reg Pridmore's Class school, but no safety course. I had a really bad highside when I was 19 and about then years ago, a highside where I broke three ribs , but the bike wasn't damaged at all. I got up that day and rode 300 more miles.

My 18 year old son finished the safety course on Sunday. Got his endorsement on Monday morning. I rode with him on Monday and Tuesday and he was using what he learned. I let him go out yesterday by himself. The net result is that I have a damaged bike, spent 5 hours in the emergency room and have a kid that can't wait to get back on and ride. He lost it in a curve after just starting moving. He locked his front brake and dumped the bike at about 20 miles an hours(after being told time and again how dangerous that was) He called me and I took him to the hospital. Some road rash on one arm and a badly sprained ankle. The bike came out worse. I have spent several weeks before this telling him how dangerous the first 1,000 miles/6 months were. His mother, (Plaintiff #2) looked right through me at the emergency room. Never acknowledged my presence. I am already second guessing myself for letting him go out alone so soon. He cannot afford a bike and can't ride unless I loan him one of mine. I have decided to let him ride again since he wants to. Hopefully he will learn and this lesson will make him safer. No way I can tell him I can ride but he can't. If he seriously injures or kills himself, I probably will not deal with that very well, not to mention Plaintiff #2.
Redfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:48 PM   #55
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Thanks for the input! It is obviously well thought out.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:59 PM   #56
Fenton
Founding Member

Sorry to hear about your son.

My parents gave me the "not while you are under this roof" talk.

My college contract did not allow "high risk" anything.

So it came down to my first bike would be up to me when I could afford one. Looking back, I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. 1980 CX500 custom, good for 98mph. *****in

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:08 PM   #57
ewok1
Founding Member

Default Re: Hmmmm....

pretty clear to me. who cares what you do, you can't be trusted with other people's expensive toys. back to your room.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:18 PM   #58
clively
Founding Member

Your son is going to do it with or without you.

I've worked several wrecks where the parents didn't know their kids had a bike. The kids wouldn't get a license or insurance (so the parents wouldn't find out) which screwed the parents even worse when it came time to pay the bills. Remember MSF classes plant the seed. Take him to a few track days & ride with him for a while. Its expensive but well worth it.
clively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:31 PM   #59
nesbit
Founding Member

Motorcylists must share with others addicted to various extreme sports, an endorphin craving that in our particular case is best gratified by pushing the exposure-at-speed envelope. The odd thing is that everyone is comfortable with their own form of extremely risky behavior, and thinks the other guy is nuts. The guy with the really acute crave is the one who indulges in multiple extreme sports simultaneously such as motorcrossing off a bridge into a BASE jump. These guys need to be medicated. The rest of us are relatively normal in comparison.
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:52 PM   #60
sarnali
Founding Member

That's the way it gets here. Not much snow but fog and upper 20*s = black ice. You can barely walk on the stuff, let alone ride.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote