Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Live and Let Live (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/2993-live-let-live.html)

SeanAlexander 08-25-2005 06:18 AM

Re: Live and Let Live

Or, you could just stay drunk all the time...

caderider 08-25-2005 06:22 AM

I honestly cannot choose a side on this poll - it simply depends on whether you know the guy or not, and whether he enjoys riding enough to do it in the first place.

Maybe if there was a 3rd choice - an "I dunno" button...

SeanAlexander 08-25-2005 06:23 AM

Re: Live to crash. Cash to ride.

Nice story Mr. Sieman.

sarnali 08-25-2005 06:42 AM

I really can't imagine not riding. I slid my hand down a knife blade years ago and had a plastic immobilizer I had to wear while the tendons and what not reattached. I could only use my index finger and thumb for the throttle so I just rode around the block a couple of times a day untill it healed.

If I have to drive for more than a few days I hate it, I don't know how you guys handle snowy winters where you can't ride for weeks at a time.

mscuddy 08-25-2005 06:45 AM

Re: Live to crash. Cash to ride.

Hey, some folks can pull a good Hemmingway, Chandler or Kipling.

But for me, after reading stacks of classic pre '74 Dirt Bike Magazines for the last 30 years...well you get the picture....

Not to mention old Rick's pretty cool in person.

Tigercub 08-25-2005 06:53 AM

I'd succumb to cancer before I ever got up the courage to go into an MRI machine.

They have new ones out that are much larger in diameter.

Tigercub 08-25-2005 07:17 AM

When I first started riding I slid my CB 350 in a stagnant, algae covered puddle in the middle of a T-intersection. The bike ended up on top of me. I was going very slow so as not to slip in the green soup. That, obviously was not the way through that muck. My second accident was on the same bike heading out to Pinacles Nat. Park following my buddy on his CB 350. I rounded a corner and went off into a ditch full of fine dirt. The bike ended upright buried to it's axle. A pick-up with camper passed and a nice lady in the passenger seat asked if I needed help. I declined. Within the next five miles I rounded another corner went off the road and ended up fishtailing to the very end of the only and largest gravel turnout I'd ever seen on the entire trip. Final tally for that trip was a bruised ankle, some scrapes and humiliation.

Spring forward about 30 years and I decide to take up dirt biking. On a Family Enduro riding my kids XR80 (yes, that's correct) I lost control, the bike fishtails and spits me off into the base of a tree, which was completely covered with tall soft grass. Softest landing I'd ever had. Next dirt bike crash was on my other kids XR100 coming back to the car, I cut through a small grass area and decide to try to wheelie over the little depression in the ground. Turns out it's about a foot deep, 2 feet across and I don't know how to wheelie. I went over the handle bars and the bike ends up on top of me. When dust settles, all I hear is laughing from the group next to us. The older of the group runs over to lend a hand. I'm OK, cut above my nose, sore back and shoulder. That one really hurt several days later.

OK, this is the last one. Same area on a rough hewn motocross track I ask to go ahead of 6 guys on serious MX bikes with my just completed '63, 200cc Tiger Cub. From the vantage point of the first hill it looks very steep on the descent. There is no turning back so off I go and manage to netotiate most of the course until in the middle of a mud filled turn I make the stupid decision to turn the bike up the side where it's dry. I have no traction, get spit off the left side with, of course, the bike on top of me. I hear a pop on landing from my middle index finger. It hurts like hell, the bike won't start, clutch slips and by this time the 6 guys at the top have stopped laughing and are flying past me. I did manage to fire the bike up and ride it back to the top. No Triumph has ever (ever!) stranded me!!

There are important lessons in all of this, but I haven't learned any of them.

longride 08-25-2005 07:36 AM

I get out in winter as much as I can, but when the snow flies I won't ride. I had a couple adventures ridinig thru snowstorms, and I never want to repeat it. I end up passing the time rebuilding something on the Shovel. Keeps me sane.

Haird 08-25-2005 07:40 AM

Re: Hmmmm....

I advise you to quit riding post haste and let me take over your job.

gas_pig 08-25-2005 08:27 AM

Leason #1: Gear up off road. I've seen my share of friends hurting themselves on dirt bikes simply because they didn't wear gear.

Riding off-road is a blast, but you should dress like your going to bail of your bike. 'Cause if your riding like I do... you will. :)