Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

View Poll Results: Should a fellow rider encourage another to ride again after going down?
Absolutely! Give it the ol' college try once more. 56 1.36%
No way Jose! Let the rider decide on their own. 76 1.85%
24 0.58%
199 4.84%
78 1.90%
141 3.43%
103 2.51%
2433 59.23%
376 9.15%
74 1.80%
56 1.36%
492 11.98%
Voters: 4108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2005, 11:25 PM   #21
tokoloshgolem
Founding Member

Default Re: Live and Let Live

I can't remember the number of times that co-workers have recounted the details of how their inadequate driving skills caused accidents or openly admitted that they are lousy drivers. They never even think of not driving, let alone ask anyone's opinion on the matter. A couple of times I advised them to stop driving and take the bus but they just stared at me blankly and kept on driving.

Personally, I would keep out of it in regards to a motorcyclist. Even though I have not had an accident on the road (yet - touch wood), the only things I can see stopping me from riding again would be if I was horribly disabled or simply had lost confidence to the point that climbing aboard caused me to spontaneously lose control of my sphincter muscles.

To add to the list of war stories, while riding offroad in tall grass (there was no trail) I hit a hole and somersaulted through the air before landing on my head with the bike still on top of me like it was riding me. My helmet had been pushed so far on my head and over my eyes that I couldn't see and I thought I must have broken my neck. When I found out that my extremities still had movement, I pushed the bike off of myself, got back on and rode home, tall grass, bent forks and all. Next day I got the forks fixed and headed out again.

I think that what made it easy was that there was no other person involved. No hard feelings to the hole - it just happened. But if it had happened because some idiot in a Volvo had steered into me I would have been upset. And if my sphincter muscles had started twitching it would not be because I ride a bike but because the Volvo driver, and others like them, are still out there.

tokoloshgolem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2005, 01:55 AM   #22
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

If the guy really loved motorcycles you wouldn't have to encourage him to ride again. I've been down a couple times and hav broken bones, but all I could ever think about when recovering was riding again. Lots of people encouraged me otherwise though.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:54 AM   #23
bod
Founding Member

This is very morbid and unappreciated topic. Yes Ive gone down no I don't talk about it much except when drunk and then I tell it in a funny manner. My Idea is to just keep it to yourself wallow in self pity and make your own decision. I have thought of giving up after a couple of wrecks and almost have until I read some article on some damn website about the lastest and greatest bike to hit the market and since I can only focus on one thing at a time I forget about the wreck and ride to my local shop to see the afore mentioned lastest and greatest live.
bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:56 AM   #24
seruzawa
The Toad

Default MYOB

I believe that, as in many personal questions, the ruling factor is to mind your own business unless asked for an opinion. Just think how much nicer things would be in society if there was more of that attitude and fewer busybodies.

However, I was once asked by someone I knew who crashed what to do and in that case I told him that I still have a stainless steel screw in my ankle from a crash in 1971 and that I'd never quit riding until they pry the throttle from my diseased and arthritic cold dead hand. Motorcycling is an addiction far worse (and better) than any drug. It's a sure cure for depression and a whole host of other ills.

A neighbor of mine 20 years ago told me that he'd quit riding because it was too dangerous. Three months later he was killed in a rollover in an old VW Thing.

Life isn't guaranteed. If you really want to be safe tear out your bathtub, throw away your bicycle, stay away from swimming pools and, oh heck, just hide in your house and watch TV or surf motorcycle sites on the internet the rest of your miserable life. In that case you may as well blow your brains out becuase you don't have a life.

Hey wait a second....
Old 08-25-2005, 03:20 AM   #25
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default I would rather have really lived...

Here I am with a bummed up leg and my Buell in the shop.

After driving in to work in my wifes SUV yesterday I felt so mundane and bored I'll tell you this much.

I would rather have really lived and ridden for a few years then live to be 90 years old riding in a 4 wheel boring tank the rest of my life.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:38 AM   #26
ducatirdr
Founding Member

Default Life flighted and still riding. It's like HEROIN. Once and addict...

After a 5 car pile up that I was stuck in the middle of. I got a helicopter ride to the hospital. Said I'd never ride again and as the crisp air of early Autum hit me it stirred my soul to ride again.

Another friend doing something stupid crashed hard and had a good old head injury that took about 6 months to clear up his vision. Said that was it for him... He now rides once and a while
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:38 AM   #27
maladg
Registered Member

Default Re: MYOB

Great points and I generally agree. After I put myself thru a rather rough crash back in 1981, a good friend and riding buddy dropped by - after I got out of the hospital - to offer a bit of routine assistance.

He just nailed how to handle it. No lecture, no harangue no nothing. Just helped and hung around being a friend. Then after awhile, he pulled my Rand-McNalley off the bookshelf and said: isn't it time for us to plan the route for our next trip? (it was spring of 81 - we already had a trip planned for August 81).

That was all it took.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:39 AM   #28
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Hmmmm....

Ride on the sidewalk where you belong. It's much safer there and hitting pedestrians is much less painfull than hitting cars or brothers.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:53 AM   #29
edward44
Founding Member

I don't think it makes a difference one way or the other. It's not the injuries so much as, after having ridden for so long without serious incident, to be caught up is a situation beyond ones control. It's the knowledge it can happen to you. During my stay in the hospital I did have several nurses inquire if I would get back to riding. I expressed a negative to one and she said: " Never say never." Then she saw the tube in my side to drain the blood out of my lung and she quicky revised her advice. She confessed to having a ride on the back of a Harley and had found it thrilling.

Note to longride: have at it boy
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:28 AM   #30
SRMark
Founding Member

People often need help getting back on the horse. Facing any trauma can be hard to over come. I had more trouble getting my second MRI than I had riding after my first street accident. Although I tore a patch out of my knee, dislocated my thumb and broke my helmet, I really had no trouble riding again. However, I will need some serious counseling to get back in an MRI machine or I will require some powerful drugs. If the person wants to try an activity again after experiencing trauma, encourage them to do so. But let them make the first move. There is nothing wrong with them not wanting to participate in a recreational activity. If the issue escalates to the level of infringing on their ability to function in life (associate with others, go to work, shop, etc.) then they need to seek the services of a therapist. They may also need the services of a good orthopedic team and skilled physical therapists. I cannot over stress the importance of physical therapy if one is to fully and more quickly recover from injury. By encouraging the person to avail themselves of emotional and physical rehabilitative services, you will help them on the road to recovery. Just be judicious in the timing of those suggestions.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote