Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

View Poll Results: Should a fellow rider encourage another to ride again after going down?
Absolutely! Give it the ol' college try once more. 56 1.36%
No way Jose! Let the rider decide on their own. 76 1.85%
24 0.58%
199 4.84%
78 1.90%
141 3.43%
103 2.51%
2433 59.23%
376 9.15%
74 1.80%
56 1.36%
492 11.98%
Voters: 4108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2005, 07:28 PM   #11
ewok1
Founding Member

Default Re: Live and Let Live

Last June I highsided in turn 2 at pacific raceways during a race. I got up, knowing i was pretty hurt but more afraid i was going to get hit by somebody else and staggered to the inside of the turn. i flopped over and while waiting for the corner workers, then the ambulance to get there, i said to myself, this is the second ambulance ride this season. it ain't worth it. if i live through this, i'm done. and i was too.

until september.

i don't have an opinion on issues faced or advice to give.

i do get a little queasy on the brakes in 2 and i pick up slower, in the same corner. i know that. but i hope it goes away.

i don't begrudge anybody giving advice about riding or not riding.

it's a choice to do something moderately more dangerous than driving a car.

still the whole "died doing something he loved" bs doesn't wash with me. nobody loves to die.

give advice to wear good gear, learn to ride, go to msf. ride a lot. think about safety. but choosing to ride? i am not going to advise somebody to do it or not do it. it's their choice to belong to our tribe.

regards

ed
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2005, 07:30 PM   #12
Nplateau
Founding Member

Well that's what you get for arguing with a woman. Like they're ever rational or capable of rational debate. C'mon man, they live in an emotive domain and take any counter point so personally that logical discussion is by very nature precluded when dealing with the supposedly fairer sex.
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:44 PM   #13
nitrofly
Founding Member

If we all gave up on the first crash there would be no motorcycling industry.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:58 PM   #14
rmdower
Founding Member

Unless you are in the magical world of Harry Potter! Why did I type that. I went down on my Busa a few months a go. I had some nice road rash, but nothing too serious. I picked up my bike (after the car which cut me off was long gone), and rode myself to the hospital (Bike had some nice road rash too). Adrenaline, ah what a wonderful thing. I got patched up. got back on my bike, rode myself home, and and never even considered for one iota not to ride. I considered trading in the Busa (i still had my more nimble and quick R1) for a Triumph Spint, but i am just plain addicted to the thrill of the Busa.
rmdower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:10 PM   #15
schizuki
Founding Member

That's an utterly chauvenistic statement full of stereotypical generalizations. And 100% accurate.

Listen up, twenty-something dudes - your Dad is right about everything. My dad was an idiot when I was in my twenties, now he's a freakin' genius. It's amazing how much smarter he got as I got older.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:14 PM   #16
schizuki
Founding Member

Do you want to take the risk of dying young while having fun, or go for the certainty of planting face-first into your oatmeal at ninety with a diaper full of crap?

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:15 PM   #17
schizuki
Founding Member

Of course, if you have kids, the equation changes. I'd take it easy while they're under eighteen. And be well insured.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:39 PM   #18
skrump
Founding Member

That's one of the best quotes I've ever read on the subject! Laughed out loud, that one's goin on a post it that'll hang on my bathroom mirror...
skrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:29 PM   #19
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Hmmmm....

I've crashed and gotten injured on several different race tracks, but I don't remember what I decided after each of those incidents, cause I usually had a head injury. However, people tell me that I still ride, so I guess I got back on that horse. I also crashed on a public road once, resulting in $17,200 in damages to a Ducati test bike and a broken right hand. The thought of not riding after that never entered my mind, until I read this thread. What do you all think I should do? -Sean
Old 08-24-2005, 11:50 PM   #20
tokoloshgolem
Founding Member

Default Re: Hmmmm....

Very funny, and clever. You realise though that you are asking the opinion of people who have paid to read about your riding experiences. I think that any replies may be biased by that and how much we enjoy reading your articles.
tokoloshgolem is offline   Reply With Quote