Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-09-2005, 04:33 PM   #1
jawzx
Registered Member

Default Re: Deaths up since Florida helmet law repealed

Wow, no comments on this one yet? I'd have thought there'd be a flame war in the first five minutes, or maybe we're all just smart enough here to know this would be the outcome without having to have CNN tell us.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2005, 04:38 PM   #2
EvoVII
Founding Member

I think we have grounds for a class action Darwin award.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:40 PM   #3
SRMark
Founding Member

What a shock! I would have thought that the skull would do a much better job at absorbing energy than that hard material in the outer helmet shell and that impact-absorbing layer in the inside. Go figure. Live free AND die.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 04:43 PM   #4
jawzx
Registered Member

Against the state of Florida, or the idiots who decided to take them up on thier offer?
Old 08-09-2005, 04:48 PM   #5
EvoVII
Founding Member

Take your pick.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:36 PM   #6
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Okay, this should surprise no one. Helmets come off, fatalities and injuries go up. That's a given. However, those people made a chose not to wear their helmet. Repealing the state law did not prevent them from donning a helmet; it gave them the choice to wear or not to wear. All that means is those who decide not to have accepted the possible consequences and risks associated with riding minus the protection helmets affords.

I do not consider this a reason or valid argument to reinstate the helmet laws, but rather as ammo for education courses on why helmets should be worn. The choice should still be left in the hands of those taking the risk. As far as the increased medical costs, bill them. Might sound cold, but thatÂ’s what insurance is for.

And before someone (we all know of whom I'm thinking of) points the finger and asks the questions: I wear a full face helmet, I don't support ‘for your own good laws’, and I don't claim allegiance to either political party since I'm tired of their loss of perspective.

Old 08-09-2005, 06:52 PM   #7
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

"Somehow I told you so doesn't seem like enough" Will Smith in I ROBOT
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:02 PM   #8
Wambo
Founding Member

Natural selection at work. I agree for choice but we live in a work where people don't have to be responsible for their actions. Helmet laws make sense even though some morons that ride never will. Still, it's good to have the gene pool flushed once in a awhile.
Wambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:28 PM   #9
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Well said. I respect your point of view and the way you presented it..
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:40 PM   #10
sconley
Founding Member

That's what a lot of people feel and say about people riding motorcycles in general; even those clad in full leathers and donning a helmet are considered too dumb to live. Congratulations, you've created a reductionist perspective on motorcycling... At least reducing it to the point where you feel safe. But life ain't safe, even while riding in a suit of armor. But you take the best precautions you can and weigh them out against your idea of living a fulfilling life and that is your own personal decision. And yeah, I ride with a helmet, gloves, and much more (even a back protector; oftentimes full leathers). But if you think that's gonna stop my face (helmet and all) from coming out of my a$$ when the Peterbilt crosses over the solid yellow, then the gene pool is more stupid than those that are leaving it. Regardless of the action taken, or of the safety precautions taken around it, one fact will always remain: You can git killed walkin' yer doggy... But that's livin fella, that's livin...

By the way, are you really a Buell employee or is that some phantom domain in your email address? If so, maybe you should tell Eric that he should be responsible for his actions by not building motorcycles that people will inevitably die on... I'm sure he'd really appreciate it.
sconley is offline   Reply With Quote