Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-10-2005, 07:16 AM   #71
ddlewis
Registered Member

Default Re: Deaths up since Florida helmet law repealed

the majority of the motorcycle riding population has shown they are too stupid to make an intelligent decision.

Says who.. you? Classic "you are too stupid to take care of yourself" elitist B.S.

Whether or not you think it's a good idea, government mandated helmets are not good for us. It's a slippery slope for street bikers who engage in an activity that is inherently dangerous and unnecessary.. if you see where I'm going.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2005, 07:21 AM   #72
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: One

I don't know which one has more effect. Do you? If you say you do, then I guess you can lie better than me.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:24 AM   #73
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: OK guys time for a Statistics lesson

"But all things being equal....."

And how do you know that they ARE all equal? Luckily, you aren't a REAL scientist. If you choose to hang your hat on one statistic, please do that. it fits the way you pretty much argue everything. There is only one right stat, and only one right thing.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:28 AM   #74
bmwdude
Founding Member

You make a very good point. But, I think I'll skip the bumper tag test if that's OK?

I have enough cagers already trying that with me. No orchestration needed.

As for the who should pay question. Why should you have to pay extra so I can ride an "unsafe Motorcycle"? To be fair, I should pay shouldn't I?

Perhaps in states where there are no helmet laws. (Or any "nanny" law for that matter)

Those who participate should cover the costs they cause?

How do we differentiate between those who ware protective gear and those who don't? To be honest, I'm not sure it's even possible. So, I guess the fairest thing would be for all riders to pay?

Or we can just have and keep nanny laws?

No matter what, someone isn't gonna like it!

bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:29 AM   #75
rstanden
Registered Member

It's clear that we need to get rid of motorcycles completely. They are entirely too dangerous. We should just take the choice about whether to ride away from the riders for the good of the general public.
rstanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:34 AM   #76
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Why your 'stat' means nothing

No change in helmet law, yet spike in deaths!!!! How the could that be??????? Explain it!!!

CHICAGO -- In response to a recent spike in motorcycle fatalities in the Chicago area and nationwide, state police Wednesday urged bikers to consider the consequences of risky behavior.

A news conference addressing the issue was held at Illinois State Police District Chicago headquarters, 9511 W. Harrison St. in Des Plaines, on Wednesday.

With a rise in the popularity of sportbikes has come a tendency to drive motorcycles faster and more recklessly, Illinois State Police District Chicago Master Sergeant Brian Windle said.

"Alcohol does not play a role in many of these crashes," he said. "It's mostly people going really fast on their motorcycles."

Across the country, there has been a 73 percent increase in fatal motorcycle accidents since 1997, Windle said.

Most riders killed are either over 40 or under 20 years old, and two-thirds of the fatalities involve speeding, he said.

The speeds that precipitated most of the fatal crashes ranged between 85 mph and 120 mph, he added.

Windle said education was the key to stemming the rise in motorcycle deaths, as many riders might not realize what happens when they are ejected from the bike in a crash.

"You can't break Newton's laws," he said.

He encouraged riders to reduce their speed, be aware of road hazards, and attend available classes on motorcycle safety.[/b]

The Illinois State police planned to help by launching more forceful and pervasive advertising of educational programs, he said, but did not go into detail.

The desire of many motorcyclists to go fast is "a product of our environment," said Dwight Lockwood, law enforcement liaison for the Illinois Department of Transportation. Movies and video games "promote the philosophy of speed and risk," he said.

"What we're seeing is risk-taking behavior by inexperienced riders," Lockwood said. "For some this becomes a badge of honor."

Alcohol impairment was a factor in 40 percent of fatalities for motorcycle riders aged 40 to 49 years old, and was less a factor for other age groups, Windle said.

Less than 50 percent of fatally injured motorists were wearing helmets at the time they crashed, he said. Illinois is one of just a few states that does not require motorcycle riders to wear helmets, he added.

Police were hoping to deter motorcyclists from speeding by reminding them that law enforcement officers are out to catch them, said state police District Chicago Lt. Joe Frascati.

Police always try to pull over speeding motorcyclists, but will abandon the pursuit if it appears a chase will compromise public safety, he said.

Still, if an officer gets close enough to the bike to read the license plate, an investigative unit will follow up on the plate number and try to locate the rider later to arrest and charge him for fleeing and eluding police, said District Chicago Lt. Dave Nanninga.

"We don't just let people take off and be done," Nanninga said.

Motorcyclists were also urged to consider how their reckless driving can endanger those driving around them and affect their loved ones.

"The impact of accidents is devastating to families," said the Rev. Hal Stanger, Illinois State Police chaplain.

Motorists driving in the vicinity of a speeding motorcyclist do best to stay in their lanes, Nanninga said.

While motorcycles account for just 3 percent of the vehicles driven in Illinois, they account for 10 percent of vehicle fatalities, Stanger said.

Since the last day of August, at least 10 people have died in Cook County due to motorcycle accidents, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office.

The most recent fatality happened early Monday when Michelle Miller, 20, was thrown from the back of a Honda motorcycle on the Kennedy Expressway near Division Street and then run over by another vehicle.

The driver of the motorcycle, Mentor Kadriu, 26, had been going at a high rate of speed and rear-ended a Nissan driving in front of him, District Chicago state Trooper Mike Karpinski said. He had a blood alcohol level of 0.108 percent, he said.

Kadriu was hospitalized at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in critical condition, and he remained there Wednesday morning, said District Chicago state Trooper Michelle Tufenkjian.

Kadriu was "not doing well" and may not survive, but if he does pull through police expect that he will be charged with reckless homicide, Tufenkjian said.

To get a license to operate a motorcycle, riders have to take a written test consisting of 20 questions about motorcycle safety and maneuvers, according to Lenny Gutierrez, assistant to the director of driver's services at the Illinois Secretary of State's office.

They also have to bring a motorcycle the facility and perform a road test, like that for driving a car, he said.

Safety courses are not required to get a license, but a list of such classes is available in a pamphlet called "Motorcycle: Rules of the Road," provided by the Secretary of State's office, Gutierrez said.

Riders can take a safety course and get certified in lieu of taking the road test, but they would still have to take the written test, he said.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:54 AM   #77
svo68
Registered Member

well said, elect Ms. Clinton next time and your wish may come true.
svo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:13 AM   #78
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

"The argument of all bikes are more dangerous than cars isn't a be all and end all, as presumably driving cars is much more dangerous than if we all were to ride bicycles, but alas that's more dangerous than if we simply all walked. "

Great comeback, Can I borrow that one for the next time longride does this? Excellent points Solace...
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:20 AM   #79
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Please don't bring up politics on this motorcycle web site

At least the budget will be balanced, interest rates will be low, good jobs will be available, dollar will be strong, record home owner ship, social security won't be in jeoparty, kids won't die in Iraq unnecessarily.

I wish you wouldn't bring up politics on a Motorcycle web site. It brings out the worst in me.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:22 AM   #80
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Please don't bring up politics on this motorcycle web site

click here for the truth