Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-10-2005, 05:25 AM   #31
edward44
Founding Member

Default Re: Deaths up since Florida helmet law repealed

Head injuries do not always cause death ya know.

An when they don't it could easily mean the rest of ones life in a nursing home. And who pays? Medicaid and Social Security . That means you-through taxes.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2005, 05:25 AM   #32
MikeSchinkel
Founding Member

Also, I definitely think that insurance companies should disallow benefits to anyone who was not wearing a helmet during a crash.

Plus, I even think a biker should be held liable if they carry a passenger who doesn't wear a helmet and gets a head injury, or even lends a bike to someone who doesn't wear a helmet and gets a head injury, assuming they are with the person at the time they get on the bike (i.e. doesn't count if not around to see them ride w/o helmet.)

MikeSchinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:36 AM   #33
porschennighthawk
Registered Member

The thing that really bugs me, is that when you look at the numbers, nationally, of how many of us die each year on bikes, it's awfully hard to say helmet use significantly reduces fatalities.

The NHTSA numbers for 2003 show that 1885 bikers died wearing a helmet, and 1662 died without wearing one. That's a 53/47 split on the fatalities. If you assume that in 30 states you've got 50% of people wearing helmets, and in 20 states you have 95% wearing, then you've got only 53% of bikers wearing helmets...

Which basically says that you've got 53% of bikers wearing helmets, 47% not wearing helmets. You also have 53% of helmet wearers dying, and you've got 47% of non-helmet wearers dying. Hmm...

That tells me one of two things:

1) If you ride a motorcycle, you're just as likely to die in a crash with or without a helmet.

2) You can make percentage statistics say whatever the heck you want, depending on what arguement you're trying to make...

I'm anxious to see the results of a new gov't study on motorcycle accidents; it finally got funded, so I'm assuming within 5 years, there should be a recent study to go by. No more of this painful assuming, by any reporter w/ a keyboard. For instance, I want to know how did the fatalities happen. Did they take a thump to the head, or did they get decapitated? Did they have to scrape them off the ground, or were they pulled out of a tree? No offense, but if I'm thrown into a brick wall, what good does it do me for my head to be protected, and I die of internal bleeding?

I wear my helmet almost 100% of the time. But I have no illusions it makes me bullet proof. Every biker is just one crash away from the grave. So to me, the most important thing is just paying attention when riding. I'm in louisville, KY, and commute to work every day on the bike, year round. I figure when I do crash, I want it to be my fault, and not somebody blind-siding me. Least then, if something bad happens, I'll have noone to blame except myself.
porschennighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:44 AM   #34
ironbutter
Founding Member

A mindless moron doing what he enjoys is *smarter* than a miserable mensa who sits safely on the sideline envying the moron
ironbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:48 AM   #35
Flickmeister
Registered Member

No matter how we arrive at the numbers, the fact is that lots more motorcyclists are dying, probably due to both an increased number of riders and fewer wearing helmets where they aren't required to. We should be concerned more about the number of people dying instead of the logistics of how those numbers were determined. We should also be concerned about the increased hospitals costs as that is passed onto to all of us through increased insurance rates. It is hard to believe a state that has mandantory seat belt law would repeal a helmet law, but Jeb Bush is one of the stupidest humans to ever sit in public office, so that's what happened, with the inevitable increase in fatalities. Personally, I believe in helmet laws for the simple reason that the majority of the motorcycle riding population has shown they are too stupid to make an intelligent decision. If it were as simple their choosing life or death without affecting others (family, those they may have killed or injured, the populace that must pay the costs of their idiocy, etc.), then not wearing a helmet wouldn't be as significant. Unfortunately, we all bear the brunt of the irresponsible majority of the motorcycling public. It is because of this, I believe in mandantory helmet laws. The right to ride--absolutely. The right to ride ignorantly--not in my book. Enjoy the ride--safely. Cheers, Jack
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:01 AM   #36
segaloff
Founding Member

I firmly believe that laws should be there to protect us from others, not from ourselves. I am therefore strongly against both a helmet law as well as seatbelt law. The only impact either of these seems to have on others, family, friends, etc. excluded, is from an insurance perspective.

The study I have not seen done, is one of health care costs resulting from motorcycle accidents compared base on the use of a helmet. Given hospitalization costs, it would not surprise me to find that the increased death rate actually produces lower heath care costs, ie a Darwinian savings in more ways than one.

And, yes I always wear a full face helmet.
segaloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:03 AM   #37
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: One

Wrong. There are thousands of different crashes, along with thousands of different vaiables like rider training and speed involved. It's not a simple as you make it.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:04 AM   #38
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Yes bikes are more dangerous than cars"

Then your argument begins and ends there.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:04 AM   #39
svo68
Registered Member

I think, as with most politicians, they do what the people who elected them want them to do, that is if they want to be re-elected.

Your distaste for Jeb is irrelavent to the topic and takes away from an otherwise well written point. Move to Fla. and vote against him.

However, if I own a gun, someone uses a gun to shoot another someone, my medical cost goes up due to that fact, let's do away with all guns......

Why not start an insurance company that caters to helmented riders only, go nationwide, offer the cheap rates, no coverage if you have your helment off, etc

However, if I own a butter knife, someone uses a butter knife to kill someone, my medical cost goes up due to that, let's make a law to do away with butter knives.
svo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:04 AM   #40
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Agreed!