Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-10-2005, 05:02 AM   #21
ScottE
Registered Member

Default Re: Deaths up since Florida helmet law repealed

I'm pretty sure your medical expenses when you're dead are minimal....

I read a study that medical costs decreased when helmet laws were repealed due to the greater incidence of motorcycle accidents being fatal instead of critically injured. Wearing helmets does not reduce accidents...They only reduce damage to the head/face when involved in an accident.....Notice I said REDUCE damage....

That said, I always were my Arai Corsair and Aerostitch as I wish to reduce my injuries as much as reasonably possible..
ScottE is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2005, 05:11 AM   #22
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default OK guys time for a Statistics lesson

Yes there are more bikes on the road in Fla. Big deal it's irrelevant because the one statistic that really drives the point home is indeed valid and is independent of that... "In the institute's report, the motorcycle-crash death rate increased 25 percent in the two years after Florida's law changed, growing from 30.8 deaths to 38.8 deaths per 1,000 crashes." This is really the only stastic that offers prof". This is an excellent statistic because it is normalized (per 1,000 crashes). i.e. you could compare this with other states as well. This stat is independent of the number of bikes on the road i.e. Having more bikes on the road doesn't effect this stat. Wearing a helmet does.

So yes cnn does provide a statistic that absolutely proves that the death rate has gone up in Fla. What has changed that would affect the death rate per crash? The helmet law.... This a slam dunk guys... If you don't believe me consult your local statistics or math professor...
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:12 AM   #23
rmohns
Registered Member

Default study numbers not informative - what is the RATE?

as usual in these sorts of studies, the numbers cited are absolute, not relative to the number of licensed motorcyclists or number of registered vehicles. thus, they do not allow for population growth, increase in number of licensed riders, and such. however, with the number of deaths up 80%, i imagine that the death _rate_ is up too -- 80% growth is a lot more than motorcycle sales growth over the same period.

of course, since Florida hosts a couple of major motorcycle rallies each year, it could be hard to decide how to determine the death rate -- when a quarter million motorcycle tourists show up for a couple weeks each year, it may skew the numbers. even so, deaths per 100,000 licensed riders or registered vehicles would still be a useful number to compare year to year.
rmohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:12 AM   #24
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

The number of bikes has no effect on this statistic...
Old 08-10-2005, 05:14 AM   #25
rmohns
Registered Member

Default Re: study numbers not informative - what is the RATE?

Doh. i missed the rate information that sportbikebandit pointed out in his comment.

nevermind the idiot writing this... :-}
rmohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:14 AM   #26
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: study numbers not informative - what is the RATE?

wrong dude. [b]The death rate is per 1000 crashes...</b. This is independent of number of bikes.. It's actually a very good statistic...

per 1000 crashes means it is a rate...
Old 08-10-2005, 05:15 AM   #27
DBw9
Founding Member

Yes, and would we expect anything more from the press?

"Journalistic Integrity" has become an oxyMOron.
DBw9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:17 AM   #28
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: One

Wrong. It is a rate dude... It's a great statistic actually cause it is normalized per 1,000 crashes. I would love to compare it with CA or WA state. The great thing is that you can compare it. Apples to Apples.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:19 AM   #29
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

The old all bikes are bad argument. Yes bikes are more dangerous than cars. But if you ride wearing a full face helmet, does definitely according to this excellent study, reduce your chances of death and costs to the tax payers...
Old 08-10-2005, 05:21 AM   #30
MikeSchinkel
Founding Member

My position on this is one that I haven't heard often: that we motorcyclists as a group should demand helmet laws because we all know that riding without a helmet is just damn stupid; why don't we police ourselves? Not doing so on principle just allows us as a group to cause unneccessary problems for others and gives those who would see motorcycle use limited or eliminated just one more reason...
MikeSchinkel is offline   Reply With Quote