Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Deaths up since Florida helmet law repealed (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/2970-deaths-up-since-florida-helmet-law-repealed.html)

longride 08-11-2005 02:17 AM

Re: A Breath of Fresh Air and the GPTB

A resonable application of your "theory" is to ban motorcycles because they are dangerous. Of course, YOU wouldn't consider that reasonable, but the masses that drive cars would.

longride 08-11-2005 02:19 AM

Re: Deaths up since Florida helmet law repealed

"Admittedly, the helmet law leans a LOT more towards indivual safety rather than public safety"

Wrong. The helmet law is 100% personal safety. Show me where another person got hurt because of an individual not wearing a helmet.

longride 08-11-2005 02:20 AM

Re: OK guys time for a Statistics lesson

Yes, I can choose not to. Too bad you can't! Yuk Yuk Yuk!

longride 08-11-2005 02:23 AM

Re: m_t_yeo is the man, Glad he is here...

So you are for any law that saves lives? What is the percentage of lives saved that you need to enact such a law?

m_t_yeo 08-11-2005 02:39 AM

Re: m_t_yeo is the man, Glad he is here...

I fully understand that society is always going to measure on dollars and cents like this to determine if a safety law is worth enacting. To me personally, the helmet law isn't worth enacting, even though I've been playing Devil's Advocate on this issue with my posts so far. I can see the argument for a helmet law, but don't support the idea personally.

I would rather see a graduated licencing system where new riders are restricted in what kind of bike they can buy with the key determiner being the sheer horsepower. They have to prove they aren't going to ride like idiots for a couple of years and then they can graduate to something bigger. As part of that probationary period, perhaps a helmet should be mandatory - for them. Once it is done, the choice is left up to the rider, but at least the state has done their bit to ensure that they don't die in droves in their first year like they usually do.

We have a graduated licencing system like this in Canada for cars already and it seems to work well. No night driving, can't have more than x people in the car, must have someone over 18 with you at all times and you can't graduate to the next level unless you are ticket free. It really hammers home that driving is a priviledge, not a right.

m_t_yeo 08-11-2005 02:42 AM

Read a few of my other posts ... damage isn't always physical and I provide a perfect example using my friend.

Lots of kids, for example, are permanently screwed to the point where they can't function in society because their parents killed themselves right in front of them. No physical damage, but lots of psychological damage. Would I be the same person after watching someone's brains leak onto the road after a collision?

Probably not.

m_t_yeo 08-11-2005 02:52 AM

Re: A Breath of Fresh Air and the GPTB

Yes, that would be a reasonable application of my theory and I fully expect hat there are all kinds of bean counters and insurance agents thinking of this right at this moment. Every society draws a line in the sand at some point and I'm hoping that it doesn't get drawn in the way you suggest. If it looks like it is heading that way, I'll make sure to offer some alternatives that will try and keep riders on the road.

I'll put my position pretty plain: I understand why society enacts a helmet law. Contrary to what the rider thinks, there are repercussions when he or she dies and society is always going to try and mitigate that if they can. I can also see why some deranged folks would think they are superman and ride without one, too, usually in a fit of pique or to 'express their individuality'. That should be their right. That being said, there are LOTS of new riders dying and something needs to be done. Maybe it is helmets, maybe it should be my graduated licence scheme, maybe something else.

If we want to keep riding, we eventually have to try and make it safer than it is now. What do you propose?

Whatmough 08-11-2005 03:35 AM

No it's Live Freeze and Die

longride 08-11-2005 03:47 AM

Spare me the "psychological damage" crap. People love nothing more than getting an eyeful of a gruesome accident. I know. I was a firefighter/paramedic for 17 years, and had to push more people away, than console. As for loved ones, I can tell you that the grief is no better watching someone die in any way you can imagine. And I have seen them die in every way, and the grief is no better, and no worse, no matter if it was a heart attack, or suicide. Maybe we need to outlaw strokes and heart attacks! Everybody dies dude. Your friend needs to get over it.

longride 08-11-2005 03:49 AM

Yep. Stupid law. Maybe the Gov should regulate what you eat and drink too, since you obviously aren't smart enough to decide.