Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-10-2005, 07:52 PM   #191
schizuki
Founding Member

Default OK, kpaul, time for a logic lesson

"However, the one thing that is measurable is that the helmet law was repealed which directly affects the survival rate thus the statistic is valid and so is the cause and effect."

Wow, two basic errors of logic - circular reasoning and post hoc, ergo propter hoc - in one sentence. Impressive.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2005, 08:03 PM   #192
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: These threads always....

"Too many hardcore individualists forget that there are other people in this world, to be honest. It helps to remind them of that fact sometimes. Consider my posts on this topic to be just that - a reminder."

Oh, well, thank you. Please continue to serve as our conscience. I look forward to future reminders from you on how to be a decent person.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:07 PM   #193
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Deaths up since Florida helmet law repealed

"Secondly, you can use this quote to justify the removal of all safety legislation ever created, logically."

Sounds good to me, as long as you're talking about informed choice. I choose to wear a helmet. I don't need the government telling me to. I already have parents, and they stopped telling me what to do when I became an adult.

Old 08-10-2005, 08:11 PM   #194
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: m_t_yeo is the man, Glad he is here...

If your justification is, "It saves lives", then logically, you must support helmet laws for automobile drivers. Race car drivers have to wear them, right? It will save lives, right? So why not mandatory helmets while driving a car?

Old 08-10-2005, 08:32 PM   #195
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: These threads always....

I was kidding around.

I had a day off laid up with a bad back and posted more today than I will in a normal month, so it isn't like you are going to be hearing a lot from me, anyway.
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:35 PM   #196
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

The informed part is the hard thing, methinks. I don't know if you can count on other people to be 100% up front with you with regards to safety.

"Sure, I've done the maintenance. Hop on."

"That black stuff? Don't worry about it. The coughing stops in an hour or two."
Old 08-10-2005, 08:36 PM   #197
schizuki
Founding Member

I find it just plain weird that motorcyclists would offer "cost to society" as a rationale for mandatory helmet laws. The difference in cost to society between helmeted and unhelmeted riding is far, far less than the cost to society difference between riding a motorcycle and not riding a motorcycle. If that's your argument, sell your bike.

Old 08-10-2005, 08:37 PM   #198
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: You need some coffee dude

Probably both.

And thanks for clarifying your points.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:53 PM   #199
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Excellent point.

I find it weird, on the other hand, that any motorcyclist would continue to ride helmetless - law or not - after taking a quick look at how hard steel, asphalt and concrete are in relation to the human body. In other words, there are freedoms worth fighting for and freedoms that really amount to being free to be an idiot. Why get so bent out of shape over the latter?

There are plenty of really onerous laws to curb before we get to something as mundane as a helmet law.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:15 AM   #200
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Sorry, but that just means everyone gets to drive the SUV's. Motorcyclists are idiots with a death wish.