Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-10-2005, 12:13 PM   #141
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: One

Funny that I mentioned the increase in ridership and they didn't. I didn't take any position. I said that one could expect a 91% increase in deaths with a 91% increase in ridership. Unless other variables changed. Since the increase in ridership also correlated with the repeal of the helmet law, all they were willing to talk about was the increase in deaths and the repeal of the helmet law. Nothing was mentioned about increased ridership. I never said what I wrote was a "study". They did. Big difference. I mantioned a fact. I gave an alternate view of why deaths could have increased just as much without mentioning helmets. I owuld say a study that doesn't take all the variables into account is pretty much worthy to wipe my ass with. Unfortunatly, some idiots here take what they say verbatum and run with it.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2005, 12:18 PM   #142
ikonoklass
Founding Member

Default Re: Deaths up since Florida helmet law repealed

And was that particular founding father, at the time he was expostulating on the topic of liberty, a slave owner?
Old 08-10-2005, 12:18 PM   #143
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

How about you giving up riding motorcycles altogether? I'm sure that would save more than a few lives. Nothing like a 5 star crash rated SUV to save a few lives.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:19 PM   #144
rstanden
Registered Member

Wow! All I have to do is draw a conclusion and say "Simple cause and effect"? I'll have to remember that in the future. It's a pretty elegant way to make an argument.
rstanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:22 PM   #145
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default Gonna have to rent that again...

Isn't the quote: "Somehow I told you just doesn't cover it?" Been a while, but above doesn't sound right.

And yes, nit-picky, I know.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:25 PM   #146
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

I think what he was getting at was that every single law impinges on someone's freedom, so the job of society is judge where the line between one person's freedom and another's begins. The laws that are chosen by the society reflect where they want to draw those lines.

My right to speed does not supercede some soccer Mom's right to drive her kids to practice safely and without incident. Her right to speed doesn't supercede my right to have a safe ride back home, either.

Traffic laws, essentially, are compromises between personal safety and public safety.
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:26 PM   #147
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Actually, I don't believe that Ben Franklin owned any slaves. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:26 PM   #148
EvoVII
Founding Member

Well, yeah! 'Cept for kids and dogs. Doesn't wash in court though. Tried it.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:28 PM   #149
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Already whipped his argument

No change in helmet law, yet spike in deaths!!!! How the could that be??????? He continues to ignore it.

CHICAGO -- In response to a recent spike in motorcycle fatalities in the Chicago area and nationwide, state police Wednesday urged bikers to consider the consequences of risky behavior.

A news conference addressing the issue was held at Illinois State Police District Chicago headquarters, 9511 W. Harrison St. in Des Plaines, on Wednesday.

With a rise in the popularity of sportbikes has come a tendency to drive motorcycles faster and more recklessly, Illinois State Police District Chicago Master Sergeant Brian Windle said.

"Alcohol does not play a role in many of these crashes," he said. "It's mostly people going really fast on their motorcycles."

Across the country, there has been a 73 percent increase in fatal motorcycle accidents since 1997, Windle said.

Most riders killed are either over 40 or under 20 years old, and two-thirds of the fatalities involve speeding, he said.

The speeds that precipitated most of the fatal crashes ranged between 85 mph and 120 mph, he added.

Windle said education was the key to stemming the rise in motorcycle deaths, as many riders might not realize what happens when they are ejected from the bike in a crash.

Old 08-10-2005, 12:32 PM   #150
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default I see you ain't answered yet.....

Well you posted 20 times since this was posted up, yet I see no rebuttal, or answer, as to how deaths increased in Illinois and there was no helmet change law. I guess you simply know when you are beat.