Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-10-2005, 11:16 AM   #121
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Irrelevant dude

I'm sorry did the speed limit increase during the same time period? Nice try but irrelevant...Only the helmet law changed. Simple cause and effect..
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2005, 11:18 AM   #122
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Deaths up since Florida helmet law repealed

You guys are in denial. It (the helmet law) was the only thing that would affect a death rate that changed....Nice try .. but wrong.. Simple cause and effect.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:25 AM   #123
edward44
Founding Member

Default Re: Wondering who was going to bring that up...

" I'm well aware of the hospitalÂ’s environment and one gets to know the staff themselves. Not always inspiring."

My wife spent 34 days in a hospital before she died, and I was there twice a day and I spent 7 days last September so I know what you mean. The staff was generally good to saintly (I mean that) but there were a few real losers in the staff-much like anywhere else I guess.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:28 AM   #124
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

An excellent idea! In fact we should start immediately by making sites that promote a dangerous activity like motorcycling, such as this one, illegal. Then will go after the offenders that have actually posted on them, like Solace, and make sure that they spend several years in a government "reeducation" facility. He shouldn't object. It is for the greater good of society after all. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:32 AM   #125
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default D'oh

Slight correction to the above:

"...presented above, isn't that it alone is the only reason..."

That's what I get for eating lunch with one hand and typing with the other.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:33 AM   #126
blitz
Founding Member

Show me the causality. Back it up. Show me the correlation. There is no data to PROVE that these are correlated.

Unless you have data, you can't say "simple cause and effect."

To say "It was the only thing that would affect a death rate" shows your bias.

You claim you're an engineer (we've been through this), but you allow personal bias to decide causality. If your car doesn't start, do you automatically assume the starter is broken? Or do you look at all possible causes?

My guess is that one could release 1000 18 year olds riding GSXR 1000s in Florida, all with helmets on, and change the death/crash rate.

Or, by the same token, 1000 50 year olds who have never ridden before on new V-Rods, all with helmets, and increase the death/crash rate.

Plausible, right?

Sure. And that flies in the face of your biased comment that helmet use is the only thing to affect death rate.

You can claim what you like, but your arguments don't hold water. You talked about apples to apples comparison. The only way to do it is compare helmeted fatalities with unhelmeted fatalities.

blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:34 AM   #127
nesbit
Founding Member

Duh?
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:35 AM   #128
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default D'oh Rnd 2

This is lame... the real location of n't is (drum-roll)!

"...presented above, is that it alone isn't the only reason..."

Coffee, anyone?
Old 08-10-2005, 11:42 AM   #129
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

I suppose you would suggest that seatbelt laws are a rediculous infringement on a person's civil rights, since seatbelts are only designed to protect the individual... not society, right?
Old 08-10-2005, 11:43 AM   #130
pudlepirate
Registered Member

dead people are cheap, it's the terry schrivo's of this world that cost the big bucks. If the rider expires on the road or in the ambulance the cost is far less then if they make it into our fabulous health care system, I know, I broke my hand and my insurance, (yes I have medical insurance) has forked over nearly 20 grand and rising, had I not been wearing a helmet and died, there would have been a funeral. period look at it like this, Evil Knevil wears a helmet, has had millions of dollars of medical bills, Indian larry? I think you see where this is going. Flame away.
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote